Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Philippines Imperialism
Netherlands - In 1568, Spanish Flanders revolted against Philip II of Spain (Philippines was named after him) which is known in history as the Eighty Years' War.
- Portugal - Philippines is actually within Portuguese point of interest of colonization as established by late 15th century Treaties of Zaragoza and Tordesillas. So they laid a claim in the islands stating that the country is theirs.
- Great Britain - In 1756, the continuation of War of Austrian Succession started knowing as the Seven Years' War. Initially, the alliance of France, Austria and Russia formed an alliance against Prussia.
- United States - Spain lost in Spanish American War in 1898. This started with the Cuban Revolution, where US watched in closely. US invaded the Philippines then through Commodore George Dewey.
- Japan- As part of WWII, Japan invaded and occupied Philippines from 1941-1944.
Why were the Philippines imperialized? -They wanted to find ways to spread Christianity.
-They wanted to expand trade markets.
-America had a strong sense of nationalism.
When was the Philippines Imperialized? In the nineteenth century, America pursued a policy of imperialism in the Philippines.
What effects did this hold over the people involved community/nation, on the world? It insulted the people of the Philippines. Making them feel more less than America. Which ended up making the war between them start faster.
-America spreads the idea of democracy to the Philippines and other courtiers.
- The united states gained control of the Philippines after the Spanish-American war.
- When the Filipinos were being given to another country for imperialist rule they were unhappy.
- The Philippines the U.S. had direct .
- The U.S. kept the Filipinos under control because they felt that the Philippines were to uncivilized to govern themselves.
- American influenced the idea of democracy to the Philippines.
What people should know about this.