Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Body Image/Eating Disorders
Transcript of Body Image/Eating Disorders
Pressures on our Body Image
Different Types of E.D.
What Influences our Appearance
*Magazines, TV, Movies, Billboards, Internet,
*Comparison to others
*Celebrities (ex: Miley Cryus, Lady Gaga, Justin Beiber, etc)
Eating Disorder Statistics
* Up to 24 million suffer from E.D.
*1 to 7 ratio of men to women - bigger issues with women
* 33% report at ages of 11-15
* 43% report at ages of 16-20
E.D. Stats cont.
*42% of 1st-3rd grade girls want to be thinner
*81% of 10 yr olds are afraid of being overweight
*higher rates of E.D. in elite athletes than regular kids
*females in aesthetic sports are at the highest risk for E.D.
- when a person refuses to eat because of a fear of weight gain
Warning Signs of Anorexia
fear of gaining weight
refusal to eat
greater amounts of hair on the body/face
sensitivity to cold temperatures
loss of scalp hair
- talk about Lesile Schoeneveld
-a cycle of binging and purging of food
Warning Signs of Bulimia
recurring episodes of binge eating
lack of control over eating
self induced vomiting
yellowing of teeth, decaying of teeth
when a person eats nonfood substances like starch, clay or soil.
- other specified feeding or eating disoder
- OSFED is a feeding or eating disorder that causes significant distress or impairment, but does not meet the criteria for another feeding or eating disorder.
- OSFED has five subtypes:
1. Atypical Anorexia Nervosa
2. Bulimia Nervosa
3. Binge Eating Disorder
4. Purging Disorder
5. Night Eating Syndrome
-when a person goes on a diet and then off a diet and repeats the cycle.