Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Colonization and Urbanization in Algeria
Transcript of Colonization and Urbanization in Algeria
Major urban areas tend to group together
The U.S. vs Algeria Urbanization
Colonialism and Urbanization in Algeria
design by Dóri Sirály for Prezi
Culture & Lifestyles
Effects of Colonization
France took control over Algeria in 1830.
French settlement caused the European population in Algeria to grow to over 350,000 by the 1880s
Turkish settlements started to show up by the 17th century.
In 1827, Charles X ordered a naval blockade towards France.
Algeria had gained their freedom in 1936 by defeating the French government.
Nationalism became an immediate demand after the war had ended.
- Spoke turkish before France invaded
- now 27% speaks Berber and 72% speaks Arabic
- French is the Lingua Franca
U.S. has a higher population than Algeria
Major urban areas in Algeria is grouped towards the top of the country.
Problems with Algerian
Shortages in housing despite government construction efforts
Space for buildings cannot be changed
~ Muslim country before France invaded
~ Islam and Roman Catholicism
* Household generally consisted of extended family consisting of grandparents, their married sons and families, unmarried sons, and daughters if unmarried or if divorced or widowed with their children.
* Oldest male in the household made all the important decisions.
-Hate the French even though they are attemting to be friendly
-High tensions between the Algerians and French
-Less trade because of colonization from Algerians
-Population protests against the French
-Algerians are highly against French politics.(politics affected)