Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Engaging Students with Technology: Or Getting the Digital Natives to Lay Down Their Weapons and Learn Something
Transcript of Engaging Students with Technology: Or Getting the Digital Natives to Lay Down Their Weapons and Learn Something
with Technology or, Getting the Digital Natives to Lay Down Their Weapons and Learn Something My, how technolgoy has changed.... Three Questions: 1. How can I teach real literacy grounded in standards with technology?
2. How can I develop a lesson with integrated technology that is legitimate, authentic, and meaningful to me and students?
3. What can I legally use, in our district, to engage students, and of those, what actually works? Wake up! Poll Everywhere! Get ready to text or tweet your answer. http://www.polleverywhere.com/my/polls Let's get a digital readout on us. http://bit.ly/q8chd1 Something's changed.
It's passed us by.
"They" moved ahead and left us behind. What happened? Don't let "schooling" get in the
way of education. Technology can help you:
provide opportunities for collaboration
incoporate cooperative learning
improve literacy (digital and print)
promote privacy and safe online behavior
develop students' organizational & study skills
model appropriate use of phones, etc. What technology can I use to promote literacy and provide authentic learning
with my students? Music Film/video clips Blogs Flash research Internet Other cell phone features As you plan, remember: Think about copyright issues.
Model appropriate cell phone use and keep it educational.
Keep kids safe and preserve privacy.
Model for them appropriate online behavior.
Do not tolerate misuse or abuse, and be consistent.
Talk often about the digital footprint they leave behind.
Send letters home to parents to keep them in the loop.
Respect district firewalls yourself - and make sure kids do the same. Take it one step at a time. Release learning. It's ok.
They like it when you try. Technology is not about learning
something new all the time. Planning a Lesson Goal: Learn about China and ________.... GAPMINDER! www.gapminder.org/data/ Now what? Write about it. Read about it. The case for online literacy: “Young people today have an unprecedented access to a wider range of content and connectivity than ever before, yet access does not ensure that reflection and learning take place.”
The "landscape" of writing has changed.
There is a clear "shift" and
students embody the shift. from Because Digital Writing Matters,
by DeVoss, Eidman-Aadal, and Hicks
2010 AND.... Collaborate!
Communicate! Quizlet Gapminder Prezi Titanpad or
PiratePad Animoto or
Photostory Google Reader Google Scholar Google SketchUp
or SketchyPhysics Hill, Corbett and Rose (2010) in Why So Few?
They propose that girls’ achievements in and interest in math and science are shaped by the environment around them –
women earn 20% of bachelor’s degrees, and 30 years ago
boys scoring above 700 on SAT over girls was 13:1...
and now that ratio is 3:1 – but still far fewer
women in math, science and engineering....
Cultural and environmental factors are a work, and obviously, the classroom is a place where that may be occurring. So how does it end?
What do I do now? Think about the future.
Their jobs. Their education.
How will you prepare them? Give reasons for what you show, use, hear.
Explain. Ask questions.
Discuss. Argue. Connect to real life.
Let them connect it to content. Henry Ford once said that he wanted to surround himself with people "who have an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done."
How can you use technology to promote this kind of innovation and commitment to learning? What are we up against? Nielsen Ratings:
- Amount of video streamed per month
- Top 10 online video destinations
- Top 10 websites
- Top 10 social networking sites Pew Research Center:
- # of those using SNS doubled since 2008
- 92% of users are on Facebook
- 31% are on FB several times a day
- FB users are more trusting on web
- 7% of friends are strangers I am a digital hybrid.
If I can do it, you can, too. Whatever learner you are,
thanks for your attention.
The Prezi link and the handout will emailed to your principal this week. "Have fun exploring the infinite abyss!" Garden State Global High English 2 & 4, LHS
Teacher Consultant with National Writing Project -
North Star of Texas Writing Project
B.S. Spanish/English at TCU, M.S. Social Work at UT Austin
@finchgirl10 on Twitter
http://threeteacherstalk.wordpress.com/ (collaborative) Molly Adams