Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Personal / Scholarly Learning Networks for Students
Transcript of Personal / Scholarly Learning Networks for Students
communities of practice,
personal networks, and
completion of work-related tasks. ●
Learning and work-related activities are often not separate.
Where & how to find information are increasing in importance relative to knowledge.
Conceived by George Siemens
and Stephen Downes
Knowledge networks are formed on "Three levels: Neural, Conceptual and External (people, information sources etc.)"
(George Siemens, 2008)
PLNs for Students
The Networked Student
By Wendy Drexler and Alex Drexler
Personal, Professional, Passionate
The wisdom of
To start a PLN
1. Create a blog
2. Find 5+ blogs that you want to keep up on
3. Set up an iGoogle account
4. Subscribe to blogs in an aggregator
5. Comment on blogs
6. Join a social network focused on your area of interest or study
7. Connect. Collaborate. Contribute.
Peers & web
Blogs & wikis
Instructor for tool use
Web search assistance
Model / demonstrate
Set up educational structures
Design and implement network structures
“…connectivism is the thesis that knowledge is distributed across a network of connections, and therefore that learning consists of the ability to construct and traverse those networks.” (Stephen Downes, 2007)
Presentation of Info
Confer with your administration
Student safety, profile protection
Identify staff, projects
Add networking to rubrics
Standardize tools, e-mail addresses
Students share content & profiles with instructor(s)
How are PLNs different for students?