Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Heirloom Seeds and Seed Banks
Transcript of Heirloom Seeds and Seed Banks
Advantages of Using Heirloom Seeds
What are Seed Banks?
What are Heirloom Seeds?
- one of the most valuable off-site conservation techniques
- open pollination provides reassurance and stability for the farmer
- store different varieties of seeds as a source for planting
Heirloom Seeds and
Disadvantages of Seed Banks
- possible mechanical damage to the seeds
- the seeds of heirloom plants, also known as heritage fruits
- carefully grown and preserved over many generations
- value lies in flavor, productivity, hardiness, and/or adaptability
- millions of heirloom seeds and plants exist today
- heirloom tomatoes
- Bhutanese red rice
- heirloom apples
- offers a safe alternative to hybrid/GMO products
- preserving the millions of heirloom seeds ensures agricultural biodiversity
Disadvantages of Using Heirloom Seeds
- produce smaller harvests than hybrid seeds
- not as pest/disease resistant as hybrid seeds
- do not have uniform harvest times
- distribute seeds to anyone who will use them appropriately
- Seed Savers Exchange
- ease of storage
- relatively low labor demands
- relatively high cost of equipment
- Millennium Seed Bank
Bond, Annie B. "Why It Matters to Buy Heirloom Plants and Seeds." Care2. N.p., 28
Nov. 1999. Web. 24 Feb. 2013.
"Heirloom Plant." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 18 Feb. 2013. Web. 24 Feb. 2013.
"Heirloom Seeds." BGCI: Plants for the Planet. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2013.
"Saving Seeds for the Future." BGCI: Plants for the Planet. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2013.
"Seed Banks." Seed Banks. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Feb. 2013.
Turpen, Aaron. SomeAdvantages & Disadvantages to Consider When Looking At
Hybrids Vs Heirloom Vegetables. N.p., 13 Aug. 2009. Web. 24 Feb. 2013.
"What Are Heirloom Seeds?" Terroir Seeds Underwood Gardens. N.p., n.d. Web. 24