Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Mentor Well
Laura Gail Lunsford, PhD
University of Arizona South
1. Think of a colleague with whom you enjoy working. Think of how you feel when you interact with this person.
What three adjectives/phrases best describe how the person made you feel?
High Quality Mentoring.
2. Positive Psychology & Coaching
3. Using Positive Psychology in Mentoring
4. Try it out
Our Aspiration & Overview
We aim to help you integrate evidence-based techniques from positive psychology to promote high quality mentoring relationships, for yourself and for others.
High Quality Relationships have....
- withstands difficult interactions.
- can handle a range of emotions (positive & negative).
- exposes individuals to new ideas.
Mentor: Professor of Engineering
Protégé: Undergrad in senior year.
Job search not going well.
Poor phone conversation with the Human Resource representative at top choice company.
Protégé feeling defeated about job search and wishes to lower expectations...encounters Dr Mentor.
Resiliency & Optimism
A - Adversity
B - Beliefs
C - Consequences
D - Disputing
E - Energization
Mentor: Manager of a Department
Protégé: 2nd Year in company, another department, signed up for mentoring program.
Strengths based approach (both mentor and protégé could share)
1. Share 'high-point' moment from last 6-12 months when you felt engaged or challenged at work.
2. If we talked to three people who knew you well what three best qualities might they tell me you have?
3. How often do you use your strengths at work?
4. How might you plan to do so more in the coming year?
What activities or goals might this suggest?
Appreciative Inquiry (Cooperrider & Whitney, 2005)
Start of relationship, imagining goals, describing the best outcomes.
: Positive emotion
A technique that endorses reflective investigation and positive conclusions.
Concepts from Positive Psychology for Mentoring
Reframing - Resilience (Seligman, 2002).
Appreciative Inquiry (Cooperrider & Whitney, 2005).
Broaden & Build (Frederikson, 2001)
Positive emotion - > increase behavioral options
Flow (Csikszentmihalyi, 1991)
Optimal experience, lose sense of time, full engagement.
Challenging activities that use your skills
SOAR model (Gordon,2012)
Strengths, Opportunities, Aspirations and Results
PsyCap (Luthans, Avolio, Avey, & Norman, 2007)
Focus on building characteristics such as efficacy, hope, optimism, and resilience.
"We aren't there yet?
You've got to be joking."
Photo Credit: Mary Umstead
Meteor Crater, Arizona
"What's ahead?" Headed north to Winslow, AZ
Kaibab Trail to the Colorado River
Avey, J. B., Reichard, R. J., Luthans, F., & Mhatre, K. H. (2011). Meta-analysis of the impact of positive psychological capital on employee attitudes, behaviors, and performance. Human resource development quarterly, 22(2), 127-15
Cilliers, F. (2011). Positive psychology leadership coaching experiences in a financial organisation. SA Journal of Industrial Psychology, 37(1), 01-14.
Cooperrider, D., & Whitney, D. D. (2005). Appreciative inquiry: A positive revolution in change. Berrett-Koehler Publishers.
Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1991). Flow The Psychology of Optimal Experience. A Division of Haper Collins.
Dutton, J. E., & Heaphy, E. D. (2003). The power of high-quality connections. Positive organizational scholarship: Foundations of a new discipline, 3, 263-278.
Fredrickson, B. L. (2001). The role of positive emotions in positive psychology: The broaden-and-build theory of positive emotions. American psychologist, 56(3), 218.
Gordon, S. (2012). Strengths-Based Approaches to Developing Mental Toughness: Team and Individual. International Coaching Psychology Review, 7(2), 210-222.
Seligman, M. E. (2002). Authentic Happiness: Using the New Positive Psychology to Realize Your Potential for Lasting Fulfillment. A divsion of Simon & Schuster, Inc. .
Seligman, M. E. (2007). c Australian Psychologist, , 42 (4), 266 – 267.
Seligman, M. E. (2011, April). Authentic Happiness. Retrieved from What is Well-Being?: http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/newsletter.aspx?id=1533
1. Definitions: Positive Psychology & High Quality Mentoring.
2. Review: Coaching + Psychology
3. New: Mentoring + Psychology
2. Imagine a time when a colleague or friend helped you through a challenging time.
What three adjectives/phrases would you use to describe what he or she did for you?
Positive Psychology =
P- Positive Emotion
(Dutton & Heaphy, 2003)
Coaching & Positive Psychology
Sports (Gordon, 2012)
Crickett - Used
to Set Personal & Team Goals
Financial Advisors - Leadership Coaching Increased:
Openness, Self Awareness, Increased Emotional Awareness
Try out one technique.
Pick a partner.
Worksheet is a reference for you.