Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Think Time...
Behavioral Approach Model
Concept of Think Time...
With Nelson's Model, we are steering away from checkmarks and repeated warnings
Students are to know that there is a consequence for disruptive behavior, for which feedback will be given and they have an opportunity to think about future actions.
Application of Nelson's Model
A teacher must first provide students with rules and routines, as well as examples of appropriate and inappropriate behaviors.
results from disruptive behavior... in which a student is asked to leave the classroom to reflect on his or her actions.
(1) Teacher begins with one request
(2) If student doesn't correct his or her disruption they are told to head over to the "Think Time" destination
What happens during Think Time??
Two main rules:
(1) Student must remain silent
(2) Only speak and respond to an adult
No time limit...
After given time the student should be able to reflect and regain control of his or her self.
When questioned about the disruptive behavior, the student should be able to describe it objectively.
If a student response is acceptable they can return to their classroom...
If the student is unable to respond, the student remains in Think Time.
If Matters Get Worse...
The second time a student is approached they are not questioned verbally... instead given a form to fill out....
Behavior Debriefing Form:
What was your misbehavior?_____________________________________
What was your reasoning to act that way? ( ) gain attention ; ( ) avoid schoolwork
( ) get even with someone ; ( ) other: _____________________________________
Did you get what you wanted by misbehaving? _____________________________________
What are you going to change when you return to the classroom? _______________________________
Then original classroom teacher reviews form and allows the student to return in his or her classroom
A cooperating teacher must be in plan so that when a child misbehaves and is sent to "Think Time"... they are sent out of the location of disruption and into a "Think Time" location.
Student is then sent to the office for "Administrative Think Time"
Nelson calls it... Early Intervention