Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Why GIS in the Fire Service?
Transcript of Why GIS in the Fire Service?
Geographic Information Systems
for the Fire Service
If you have any questions, please
don't hesitate to ask.
And one more thing...
Assists Incident Commander with Situational Awareness.
"Stop fighting fires with emotion...
Start fighting fires with information."
Chief of Department Don Oliver
Wilson, N.C. Fire Department
Peter Hanna, FF / GIS Specialist - Baltimore City F.D.
Jim Smalley, GISP - National Alliance for Public Safety GIS
Steven Pollackov, Captain / GIS Commanding Officer - FDNY
GIS is about:
GIS Experience (Scale 1-10)
Geography allows the I.C. to obtain Information to make decisions based on Spatial Data.
Geography is the Unique “Key”
GIS Integrates All Types of Data
Forming collections of data to create information and knowledge …
Where do you get data?
Canned Base Data
Common type of data
Grids or Zones
Edge of Pavement (Curbline)
Creating and Maintaining Data
Paper to Desktop
Mobile to Desktop
Where to find us:
Northeast Regional Seminar
FDNY GIS Unit
BCFD GIS Unit
Battalion Fire Chief
Mount Laurel Fire Department