Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
5th Grade Common Core - Mathematics Overview
Transcript of 5th Grade Common Core - Mathematics Overview
What is "Common Core"?
The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. These standards are designed to be rigorous and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers.
Why "Common Core"?
The way we taught students in the past simply doesn't prepare them for the higher demands of college and careers today and in the future. Forest Ridge School District #142 and other districts throughout the country are working to improve teaching and learning to ensure that all children will graduate high school with the skills they need to be successful.
Presenters: Jeffrey Kulik - 5th Grade Foster
Teri Thibedeau - 5th Grade Kerkstra
3 Math Common Core shifts...
* Teachers will concentrate on teaching a more focused set of math concepts and skills.
* Students will "master" important ideas and skills in a more organized way throughout the year and from one grade to the next.
* Teachers will use "rich and challenging" math content to engage students in solving real-world problems in order to inspire greater interests in mathematics.
Available 5th Grade Mathematics Teacher Resources
Note: Engage NY is not the "curriculum"
* Houghton Mifflin Textbook Series
* Math 4 Today
* Engage NY
* Bridges Textbook Series
* Teacher-Generated Resources
* PARCC: Partnership for Assessment of Readiness
for College and Careers
* ISBE Model (upcoming)
Common Core - Parent Resources
COMMON CORE STANDARDS INFORMATION
TOOLS FOR THE COMMON CORE
What's Up and Coming in 5th Grade Mathematics...
Please follow along with the handout as we preview the upcoming division lessons connected with the Common Core.
Notice how the lesson objectives increase in rigor of conceptual understanding.
Parents become the learners....
Please be ready to participate as we model a division lesson for you. Feel free to ask any questions you may have during the lesson.
All documents are yours to keep when the lesson is completed.
A Sample 5th Grade PARCC Assessment Problem
This problem showcases the increased rigor and expectations for your child on future state assessments.
Please give it a try on your own and see if you can get the correct answer.
For further examples, please visit:
Thank you for attending tonight's presentation!
Please contact us, your child's teacher, or your building administrator if you have further questions regarding the "Common Core".
Jeffrey Kulik - email@example.com
Teri Thibedeau - firstname.lastname@example.org