Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Nuclear Energy
Nuclear Energy is...
Energy produced during a nuclear reaction
Energy released from a change in the nuclei of an atom
World's largest source of emission-free energy
Released when nucleus is split and when two atoms are joined
Nuclear is harmful to humans because of ...
• The radioactive elements (depends on how exposed they are)
• Ionising radiation.
• being contaminated when radioactive materials are on you or in you including breathing it in, eating it (in your food), or absorbing it.
Advantages of Nuclear Radiation
• Radioactive substances used to diagnose thyroid cancer, Bone cancer, bone scans, PET scans, knee problems and Liver cancer.
Advantages of Nuclear Energy
Able to generate lots of energy
clean energy source
Low operating costs
If Australia used all of it's Uranium for energy, all coal mines would be able to be closed down and gas fracking could be stopped.
If we had nuclear power only 1/10 of the current Carbon Dioxide would be produced.
Worldwide there have been 99 accidents at nuclear power plants. 57 accidents have occurred since the Chernobyl disaster, in 1986, and 57% (56 out of 99) of all nuclear-related accidents have occurred in the USA.
People's opinions on why we
• Not using coal which is running out
• If placed in an area e.g. desert away from people
• Very clean apart from waste but because these plants keep developing soon there will probably be solutions for this, very safe and you can’t stop natural disasters which will always damage objects no matter how secure they are
• World peace, more energy
• Other eco-friendly power sources are not able to produce enough energy for people to live. Nuclear energy can produce both eco-friendly and mass amounts
People's opinions on why we
use Nuclear Power:
• Fine without it, don’t need it, solar is better!
• Very good idea but not worth all high risks, hydro is a better way to go
• Definitely no! too much danger to environment and humans
• Should not exist, would you rather have thousands of people die when something goes wrong or use a different source that isn’t so harmful when something goes wrong?
• Solar and wind are the way to go!
• The waste can be very dangerous. It takes thousands of years to break down and while breaking down can still be extremely harmful
• Too expensive! Go for a cheaper option
• Why don’t we use solar in the day and hydro at night?
• Uranium is dangerous towards their children.
Disadvantages of Nuclear Energy
Too expensive to build
Increases risk of nuclear war and terrorism threats
Risks of meltdown or an explosion
Nuclear reactors only last for about 40 to 50 years
Long construction time
Increasing the amount of radioactive waste shipped over to other countries
Radioactive nuclear waste has a lifespan of more than 5000 years.
Spread of Nuclear Radiation within 24 Hours
Did you know......