Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Congress of Vienna
Transcript of The Congress of Vienna
Czar Alexander I
Klemens, prince von Metternich
Frederick William II
Q: WHO was at the Conference?
A: The European nations who united to defeat Napoleon's Empire. The principle negotiators were the "big four" powers of...
Goals of the Congress...
1) Prevent imperialism in Europe
What is Imperialism?
1) Contain France (Create a buffer)
Make Countries Around France Stronger
2) Create a "Balance of Power"
- Can't make France too weak...would encourage Revolution
3) Restore Monarchies to the throne
- restoring the monarchies and rulers who Napoleon had dethroned
2) Prevent Revolution in Europe
1) Created Kingdom of the Netherlands
2) German independent states were united to create a Confederation controlled by Prusia
3) Switzerland was recognized as an independent state
- Keep any one country in Europe from gaining too much power
- Stabilize the politics in Europe
3) French Repatriation (payback the damages)
- France still had to pay 70,000,000 Francs ($132,000,000), give back stolen art, pay for a "transitional" (occupying) army
Charles Maurice de Talleyrand
In 1804, Napoleon started on a military campaign to increase French power, authority, wealth and influence ....
Wait...that's not the right guy?!!!
- Europe was devastated by the Napoleonic Wars. Much of Europe's infrastructure and political oganization lay in ruins. France was being occupied buy European armies. WHAT DO YOU DO NOW?????
Naplo...wait Still not the right guy?!
Okay, this is the right guy...
Napoleon was defeated after a coalition of European nations invaded Paris and removed him from power in 1815
(The biggest player)
The powerful nations of Europe met in 1815 in Vienna, Austria to negotiate a "new European order"
C. of Vienna
Q: Was the Congress successful in achieving it's goals?
A: Sort of.
1) Political cooperation of an entire continent
2) A Lasting peace - 40 years
1) A loss for democracy...Kings and Queens regain power.
CONCERT OF EUROPE
- Austria and Prussia pledge to use Christian and Church doctrine to combat the ideals of the French Revolution
Concert of Europe
- Series of Alliances that ensured nations would protect each other if revolution broke out
- Klemens von Metternich
3) Democracy CANNOT BE CONTAINED!!!!
- Leads to revolutions in Latin America.
- Aristocrats like Metternich were afraid of the democratic ideals of the French revolution...
- Their conservative agenda was meant to discourage democratic ideals and principles.
- "The first and greatest concern for the immense majority of every nation is the stability of laws - never they change."