Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Marzano - Homework & Practice
Transcript of Marzano - Homework & Practice
Marzano Instructional Strategy #4
The Survey Says
- 24 percentile point gain for HS students (based on 60-120 minutes per night)
- .5 increase in GPA for each additional 30 minutes
Student Example (from 2.0 to 2.5)
-Reinforce the purpose of homework
-Provide a quiet and consistent place
-Reinforce and recognize the effort
Preparing students for new content
Having students elaborate on new knowledge
Know the importance of teacher feedback
Vary the approach to feedback
Specific comments from teacher
Student feedback (i.e. math accuracy chart maintenance by student, reflective questioning, etc.)
Communicate the Purpose
Feedback on Homework
Role of Parent
- Students should be told what kind of feedback they'll receive
Room # 835419
Structured around highly familiar content for the student
Reinforcing a familiar skill
What % of students complete their homework on a regular basis? What impacts that number?
What are some excuses students give for not doing their homework?
What are some ways to motivate students to complete their homework?
Articulate clear purpose & guidelines
Outline the consequences for not completing
Communicate acceptable parent involvement
Students should be able to articulate the purpose for each particular homework assignment
Rules for Assigning Homework
Meaning & Value
For Preparation or Elaboration
Why do teachers assign homework?
- Amount should be different for Elementary - Middle - High School
Establish & communicate homework policy
Always provide feedback (format can vary)
Design practice assignments that focus on specific elements of a complex skill or process
How can you communicate this to parents and students?
If they were all this anxious...
Ticket out of class
Teacher Site - Create Login & Password
Doesn't just apply to homework...
...all assignments that facilitate practice or preparation/elaboration
have to think about why we assign the work that we do... what are students supposed to LEARN? What is the purpose of the assignment?
1/2 Days & Work Day Schedule
Course Description Book Revisions
Lesson Plans & Other Fusion Updates
4. How will you utilize this new learning within this next month? Set 1 Goal.