Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of Oxidation reduction
Transcript of Copy of Oxidation reduction
By: Dani waidley
Oxidation-Reduction Reaction (Redox) is when one substance gives up an electron, and another substance gains the electron.
Thank you for Watching!
Everyday Day Examples
~ the "oxidation" is giving up an electron (because it is oxidizing/adding to another substance)
~ the "reduction" is gaining an electron (because it is reducing a substance)
"ChemTeam: Reduction Oxidation." ChemTeam: Reduction Oxidation.
N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016.
"Redox." Kids.Net.Au. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016.
think of it like how a mother bird has food, and then is gives the food to its hungry babies
Batteries have cells in them called voltaic cells that have 2 half-cell redox reactions. The reaction allows the battery to power itself, but without it the battery would only produce heat
"Batteries: Electricity Though Chemical Reactions."- Chemwiki.
N.p., 1 Oct. 2013.Web. 14 Jan. 2016.
Fire is an example of combustion. Which is created by combining oxygen and a source of fuel (wood or gas) to release heat energy.
ex: CH4 + 202 -- CO2 + 2H2O
It's gett'n hot in here!
Metabolism in Humans
Your body converts your food into energy called ATP, so that it can fuel itself. But in order to do so, the body must remove hydrogen atoms from the food, so that it can use it to energize you body
energy using food's energy
Steam Engines use combustion (a form of redox reactions) to fuel trains or other carriers. It does so by buring coal that provides the energy to boil water, which in turn, is able to produce enrgy that powers the machinery needed.
1. What does redox transfer?
2. What is oxidation in charge of?
3. What type of atoms do es the body use in the process of metabolism?
4. What is a steam engines initial fuel source?
5. In what way is new technology applying redox reactions?
2. giving up an electron
3. hydrogen atoms
5. to conduct faster electricity
"Oxidation-Reduction Reactions - Real-life Applications." Real-life
Applications. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016.
"Redox Reactions." Redox Reactions. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Jan. 2016.
Conduct Faster Electricity
Researchers in Ireland have discovered that by changing the electrode surface they can produce more electicity. This is production of more electron-exchange. They can now use this new information for wastewater teatment and eventually other things. But this information is still new and being discovered!