Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Acropolis
What war do they elude to? Temple of Athena Nike Focusing on: The Parthenon, Temple of Athena Nike, and Erechtheion The Athenian Acropolis Temple of Athena Nike The Erechtheion Parthenon Question - 447-438 BC
- both Doric & Ionic (claiming mainland & islands)
- fits with Pericles' 'new' Athens
- centauromachy metopes = war against Persians
- West pediment = Contest between Athena & Poseidon as to who would be the patron deity of Athens
- East pediment = birth of Athena
- Runs around whole building
- Depicts Panathenaic procession
- Bold move putting mortals by gods - 427-423 BC
- Ionic (contrasts with doric Propylaia)
- Nike (Victory) adjusting sandal 410-405 BC
- South frieze = Greeks fighting persians
- West frieze = Greeks fighting Greeks Look at that fabric my gosh it's kinda overrated if you ask me enter here aww yis look at that fancy map do centaurs have two sets of internal organs? South Frieze: Battle of Marathon
420s BC Athena obviously wins It's not small, it's fun sized! This is my favorite thing I want lady columns on my house look how boss that is this is not the best image I am sorry gosh it's so pretty Erechtheion - 395 BC
- Ionic (feminine)
- Housed several gods (Athena, Poseidon, and Erechtheus) (which is odd)
- Home of the sacred tree that sprouted when Athena struck the rock with her spear in her successful rivalry with Poseidon for the city
- Also a salt-water well and trident marks courtesy of Poseidon
- Porch off the south side - has six female caryatids holding up the roof
- Inscription on building refers to them as 'korai'
- Housed the wooden Athena statue used in the Panathenaic Procession it's a really girly temple Dat tree tree caryatids trident marks What kind of tree is it? How was the Parthenon (more or less) destroyed? The buildings of the Athenian Acropolis use both the Doric and Ionic orders. Discuss the meanings behind them in how they relate to the politics, religion and/or culture of Athens. (Why were they used? How were they used?)
Use at least 3 specific and dated examples. Peplos (Which means that this building was built after the outbreak of what war?) bendy sun glare sorry kaboom 1687 - Ottoman ammunition, Venetian rocket trident flew through and scuffed the floor