Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Organic Language Acquisition
Transcript of Organic Language Acquisition
What is OLA? Building a language community through
Kinesthetic Immersion 1. To speak L2 exclusively Developed Five Goals We acquire a language when we understand messages. We develop acquisition when we understand what people tell us but on;y when it is slightly more advanced than current level i+1.
Effortless: no energy, no work. Involuntary: given comprehensible input you must acquire, you have no choice. KRASHEN'S INPUT HYPOTHESIS: Output hypothesis
by Merrill Swain This hypothesis posits learning takes place when there is a noticeable gap in L2 and learner modifies output to acquire new understanding. The act of producing language in both speaking or writing constitutes part of the process of second language learning. Kinesthetic Communication Positive Immersion TPR Output 2. To not be afraid of an L2 environment
3. Take risks and break down filter 4. To be able to infer and circumlocute 5. Participate and be part of a community What it looks like: Individual Accountability Simultaneous and equitable interaction Functional use of language Peer support Relevant: the student is the curriculum = Increased motivation and greater language use! You were a baby when you started speaking and even though you spoke the language incorrectly you were allowed to make mistakes The more mistakes you made, the more your parents smiled! Embrace mistakes instead of correcting them. Allow them to play (speak) more than they practice (study) A language works best when we have something interesting to say Too many rules at the onset will slow students down Many music (language) teachers never find out what students have to say, they only tell them what they are supposed to say. References:
Crater High School/Central Point School District
www.dese.mo.gov Structure supports participation & community Students respond and use circumlocution
while engaging in authentic communication The curriculum comes from the students: THIS NOT THIS! Increased anxiety levels because pushing second language learners raises the affective filter and hinders acquisition Comprehensible Input leads to lower standards and lack of academic language. Question for class: Krashen or Swain... or both? Language is acquired Comprehensible output AND input The End Professor at the Ontario Institute, University of Toronto You were a baby when you first started to speak the language