Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Inquiry Based Lessons
Transcript of Inquiry Based Lessons
1. Create inquiry based lessons that are relevant, rigorous, and connected to our units.
1. Review/Introduce 3 Act Math
Resources for 3 Act Math
Dan Meyer's Blog
Explanation of 3 Act Math
Another site with explanation & more examples of 3 Act Math
2. Understand the standards in each unit.
3. Plan day-t0-day lessons for the current and next unit.
2. Look at an Example 3 Act Math
3. Create a 3 Act Math (1 hour)
4. Resources and Things to Know for planning
5. Plan our lessons for current unit and next unit
6. Lunch (12:00 - 1:00)
7. Continue planning your lessons for current unit and next unit
8. Debrief in Staff Room at 2:15
What is 3 Act Math?
Examples from a real class
Miss Chen’s parents have a leaky roof at their place. They ask her to go up and see what the problem is. Unfortunately, Miss Chen does not have a long enough ladder to reach the roof, and she doesn't want to spend too much money to buy one. What's the shortest length ladder she could buy to get onto her parents' roof?
Act 1: The Problem
How are you going to solve this problem?
The height of the house is 24 feet.
Planning Your Lessons
Be sure to look at Scope and Sequence Chart and standards description.
Backwards map from there
Problem of the Month:
Act 2: Your Turn
What information do you need to solve this problem? Why do you need this?
Home Depot is having a sale on 40 ft ladders. Miss Chen decides that the 40 ft ladder is a better buy than the 25 ft one, so she buys it. With this new ladder, how far away should she place the base of the ladder if she wants the top to just touch the roof?
6th Grade Units:
2. Fractions & Decimals
6. Equations and Inequalities
7. Putting Mathematics to Work