Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Pedestrian by Ray Bradbury
Transcript of The Pedestrian by Ray Bradbury
Ray Douglas Bradbury
* 22nd August, 1920 † 5th June, 2012
Pre - reading
Tasks while reading
- Who are the main characters?
"The Pedestrian" by Ray Bradbury
1. Ray Bradbury
2. The story
- Author/screenplaywriter with focus on science fiction and horror.
- Married; four children
- At the beginning only short stories, they have been successful --> became a free writer
- In lifetime already honored for his numerous works;
got many awards, amongst others a star on Hollywoods "Walk Of Fame"
- Almost every household owned a TV
- Utopia or dystopia?
- Describe the atmosphere in the city Leonard Mead is walking through
- What is 'crime ebbing' and why does it happen?
- Story is written in 1951
-Acts in the year 2053 A.D.
- society is manipulated by a totalitarian regime
- Influenced by TV
In the 1950s in America...
- Automobile industry boomed -> Cities were not pedestrian-friendly anymore
- out of ordinary, because he owns no TV, is not married, etc.
- likes to walk at night through the city.
'In ten years of walking by night or day, for thousands of miles, he had never met another person walking, not once in all that time.'
- unmanned vehicle
- takes Mead to 'Psychiatric Centre for Research of Regressive Tendencies'
demonstrates the incapablity to comprehend humans and their private motives!
Why did the author write this story?
- own experience
- criticizes society
'The Pedestrian' is the base for Bradbury's well known novel 'Fahrenheit 451
''Things that you love should be the things that you do and the things that you do should be the things that you love''