Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Intercomprehension between cognate languages
Transcript of Intercomprehension between cognate languages
BETWEEN COGNATE LANGUAGES
by Erik Hemming
Åland University of Applied Sciences
Natural and human
Words always in context
The shared human experience
Listening between the lines
Icebreaker - getting used to the idea - TRYING IT
Cultures live inside languages
(Catalan, Galician, Provencal, etc.) + ENGLISH!
Baltic and Slav Languages
(Polish, Ukrainian, Belorussian, Czech, Slovak, Slovene, Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian, Macedonian, Bulgarian)
Using context more
Decoding non-verbal communication
Partial comprehension is OK!
Approximate comprehension is OK!
Reflexion and follow-up
INTERPRODUCTION - easy and slow
Communication between tips of icebergs
Interproduction - speaking/writing
so that foreigners/beginners can get it
Writing and speaking
KISS (keep it short and simple)
Slowly and Clearly
More International Words
Making sense of a text is very much a special case of making sense of the world (de Beaugrande, 1980).
1. Natural: Wondering/Guessing (curiosity)
2. Understanding a little: Partial/Approximative comprehension
3. Translations easily accessed: Automatic/Parallel texts/Subtitles/Lyrics
4. Personal interest: Media/Entertainment/Music/Sports/News
5. Professional interest: Improved communication at work (mainly because of better social relations - at low skills levels)
6. Always in a context: Background info/Pictures/Maps/Drawings
7. Context: Non-verbal cues/Multimodal info/Interactive info
8. NOT traditional language learning
9. Life-long learning: Independent/Autonomous/Free/Slow sometimes
10. Natural - driven by people, social events, rewards, interest
What, when, where, why?
Resources, sponsors, activists, fans
*using similarities between languages, transfer of skills between languages, multilingualism, plurilingualism
to understand the language of the other, while using one's own - an untapped resource in human interaction - oral or written - face-to-face or long-distance. To make sense of human communication is a part of making sense of the world. We use context, social skills, genre skills, and general knowledge, in addition to the words - many of which we share across different languages.
And trust your brain to do the work
Common Misunderstanding about Languages and Learning
"I don't know a word of...."
- exaggerated humilty and helplessness /- protection against failure?
- STOP - LOOK - LISTEN
"To make a mistake is bad"
- best way to learn/remember
- laughed at? - good for building positive relations
"English is enough"
- our native language is the home of our soul
- lingua franca only good for simple practical communication
- humour, beauty, charm, wit - appreciated best in native
"Language skills is for the elite"
- but most common people in the world don't use English at all
- every language is near today
Context: ZOOM OUT!
Why here, why now, why
to that person?
Language understanding on your CV
- Level A1 (CEFR) has VALUE
- You show CURIOSITY (a key skill for the future)
Natural curiosity (and some experience from life)
- no word lists
-no grammar tests
New technology all the time
Check your understanding/give yourself some help
Always in Context
Zoom out and teake in the big picture
- same world - different words
- we are all humans
Breaks at work
You'll spend a lot of time with some people - why not have more fun - and pick up a language?
NOT traditional language learning
Language is: ACTIVE SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR
Life-long learning: Independent/Autonomous/Free/Slow sometimes
When you want - how you want
- understanding a little
What could they possibly mean?
Better relations at work
More knowledge about people
Video tutorials of the contents of this PREZI
Tasks and activities that involve using many LANGUAGES THAT YOU NEVER HAVE STUDIED.
The aim is to try to USE these languages anyway, very much like one has to do when working in an international environment.
The key is to LISTEN and LOOK carefully.
Discard „phobias” of unknown languages:
- give yourself the taste of many languages,
- you can understand SOMETHING – almost every time….
Weather and sports
Buy food on line
Loans or common roots
1: International Vocabulary (IV)
2: Panromance Vocabulary (PV)
3: Sound Correspondences (SC)
4: Spelling and Pronunciation (SP)
5: Panromance Syntactic Structures (PS)
6: Morphosyntactic Elements (ME)
7: Prefixes and Suffixes – “Eurofixes” (FX)
This one is available in many languages
Расцветали яблони и груши,
Поплыли туманы над рекой.
Выходила на берег Катюша,
На высокий берег на крутой.
Rastsvetali yaboloni i grushi,
Poplyli tumany nad rekoy.
Vykhodila na bereg Katyusha,
Na vysokiy bereg na krutoy.
Apple and pear trees were blooming,
Mist was floating over the river.
Katyusha stepped out on the bank,
On the high and steep bank.
Выходила, песню заводила
Про степного, сизого орла,
Про того, которого любила,
Про того, чьи письма берегла.
Vykhodila, pesnyu savodila
Pro stepnogo, sizogo oral,
Pro togo, kotorovo lyubila,
Pro togo, chi pisma beregla.
She was walking, singing a song
About a grey steppe eagle,
About the one she loved,
About whose letters she was keeping.
Ой, ты, песня, песенка девичья,
Ты лети за ясным солнцем вслед.
И бойцу на дальнем пограничье
От Катюши передай привет.
Oy, ty, pesnya pecenka devichya,
Ty leti yasnym solnetsem vsled.
I boytsu na dalnem pogranichye
Ot Katyushi peredai privet.
Oh, you, song, little song of a maiden,
You fly over the bright sun.
To the soldier on the distant border
From Katyusha sends a greeting.
Пусть он вспомнит девушку простую,
Пусть услышить, как она поёт,
Пусть он землю бережет родную,
А любовь Катюша сбережет.
Pust on vspomnit devushku prostuyu,
Pust uslyshit, kak ona poyot,
Pust on zemlyu berezhet rodnuyu,
A lyubov Katyusha cberezhet.
Let him remember an ordinary girl
Let him hear how she sings,
Let him protect the Motherland,
As Katyusha protects their love.