Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Minerals
A naturally occurring, inorganic solid with a definite chemical composition and an orderly arrangement of atoms.
1. Formed by natural processes
- No help from humans
- Occur inside Earth
* Diamonds made from pressure in Earth
Structure of Minerals
- Arranged in an orderly pattern that repeats, called a
2. Inorganic , or not living substances
- Made from non-living substances
- No Cells
* Diamonds made from inorganic matter
3. Composed of one element or combination of elements
* Diamonds made from C
* Halite made from Na & Cl
- Keeps it shape
- Atoms arranged in specific order
* Diamonds are solids
Formed by natural process?
- When cools, atoms start to move closer together.
- Slower = Larger crystals
- Faster = Smaller crystals
- Formed in water solution that evaporates. Atoms come closer together.
Hardness: how easily the mineral can be scratched
Luster: how the mineral
can reflect light
Specific Gravity: ratio of minerals weight compared to weight of an equal volume of water (Density)
Streak: color of mineral in powdered form
Compare like minerals
Fingernail - 2.5
Glass - 5.5
Quartz - 7
Diamond - 10
Graphite - Metalic
Flourite - Non-Metalic
Gold - 19
Pyrite - 5
Gold - Yellow
Pyrite - Greenish-Black
Chalk - White
Can you tell which is gold?
Go to socrative.com and
complete the Exit Ticket