Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
THE OXYGEN CYCLE
Transcript of THE OXYGEN CYCLE
- Plants are the main creators of Oxygen in the atmosphere through the process of photosynthesis.
- Plants are producers that use Carbon Dioxide and sunlight to produce energy and release Oxygen.
An Important Element to Life on Earth
- Oxygen is the most common element in the human body (mostly in the form of H2O- water)
- Oxygen makes up 30% of the Earth
- Oxygen makes up about 20% of the atmosphere
Oxygen Being Used
-Oxygen is constantly being used and changed in various processes that make up the
-The Oxygen cycle is interconnected with the Carbon cycle.
Here is a simple example of an oxygen cycle
-See how Oxygen is being used by plants and animals.
- Animals breathe in the Oxygen and then exhale (or breathe out) Carbon Dioxide.
- The plant can then use this Carbon Dioxide and the cycle is complete.
Processes That Use Oxygen
- Breathing: The scientific name for breathing is called "respiration". All plants and animals use up Oxygen when they breathe. Breathing in Oxygen and releasing CO2
-Decomposing: When plants and animals die, they decompose. Decomposition uses Oxygen, and releases CO2
- Rusting: Rusing, called "oxidation" uses Oxygen
- Combustion: Fire needs 3 things, Oxygen, fuel, and heat. When things burn, Oxygen is used and CO2 is released.
Processes That Produce Oxygen
- Plants: Plants recycle the majority of the Oxygen we breathe through the process of photosynthesis. Photosynthesis used CO2, water, and sunlight to create energy, adn Oxygen is also created and released as a waste product of the plant.
- Sunlight: some Oxygen is recycled when sunlight reacts with water vapor in the atmosphere
Even when fish breathe underwater, they are still breathing Oxygen. Their gills extract the Oxygen from the water
- There is a lot of Oxygen stored in Earth's crust. It can be found in minerals, not available for humans to breathe.
- One of the biggest sources of Oxygen is phytoplankton that live near the surface of the ocean. Phytoplankton are tiny little plants, but there are lots of them.