Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
English 9: Day 5
Transcript of English 9: Day 5
"All the lights are on, and there is a teacher gazing out the window of each classroom," Isabelle said. "I wish we were going to the other high school instead of this old, ordinary, boring one," groaned William, who was not his usual, cheerful self.
Today's Agenda (9.10.18)
10 September 2018
1. Select and describe one significant cultural divide between you and your parents/guardians that causes tension in your household or internal angst for you. What do they just not understand about your perspective? How do you wish things would be different?
2. Describe a situation when you felt like your parents/guardians pushed you when you did not want to be pushed.
3. Are differences and tension between parents/guardians and their children inevitable and universal or not? Explain your reasoning.
Read "Two Kinds"
Submit to Canvas
Fiction Style Notes
10 September 2018
Elements of Style
a hint to audiences of what is to come later in a story
the use of words and phrases to create "mental images" for the reader
"In the hard-packed dirt of the midway, after the glaring lights are out and the people have gone to bed, you will find a veritable treasure of popcorn fragments, frozen custard dribblings, candied apples abandoned by tired children, sugar fluff crystals, salted almonds, popsicles, partially gnawed ice cream cones and wooden sticks of lollipops."
the emotional feeling or atmosphere that writing produces
“There was no moon, and everything beneath lay in misty darkness: not a light gleamed from any house, far or near all had been extinguished long ago: and those at Wuthering Heights were never visible…”
words and phrases used so that their intended meaning is different than the actual meaning
when a speaker's intention is the opposite of what is said
when an outcome occurs contrary to what was expected
when a situation is clearly understood by an audience but not characters
87% class average score
Great comprehension answers
Mixed analysis answers
Ways to Improve
Answer each question entirely
Consider how elements work together
Use your notes
Read slowly and reread
Write in complete sentences