Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The use of Teaching Aids in English Teaching
Transcript of The use of Teaching Aids in English Teaching
The Use of Teaching Aids in English Teaching
To help to illustrate a lesson's topic.
To get the students use the language.
To keep language learning interesting.
To improve student response rates.
Advantages of ICT usage
Capacity to control presentation
Novelty and creativity
hyperlinked multimedia documents and Computer Mediated Communication (CMC).
ICT stands for Information and Communication Technology
ICT involves the use of computers and networks
How do you find the need of English teachers to use audiovisual for their classes?
A teaching aid is any piece of equipment or material that can be used to help the students learn.
The aids that help in teaching languages and that
can be seen
are called “
Aids that can only
. Examples of audio aids are tape recorder, CD player, etc.
Audio-visual is a combination of two words: "
" referring to that which we can hear and "
" referring to that which we can see. Audio visual aids include video , films, TV, computer, etc.
Advantages of using Teaching aids in ELT
Advantage of using Visual aids
Advantage of using Audio aids
Advantage of using Audio-visual aids
Help students understand easily the new material
Help students visualize and connect the language to the reality
Help teachers explain the lessons
Provide certain contextual aspects and some extra-linguistic elements
The provision of exposure to variety of English and speakers
bringing learners in direct contact with objects and things, by bringing the distant thing nearer,
bringing the world into the classroom.
arousing learners curiosity, by making use of pictorial content and providing variety in teaching
What are materials for?
What are Characteristics of Materials?
How can we learn about materials?
How do we get materials
What kind of “teaching aids” are you likely to use?
What “Teaching aids” are you likely to use in the following four situations?
To what extent do you think “Teaching aids” are effective in enhancing students’ English proficiency?
What is/are your objective(s) in using “Teaching aids” in the classroom?
7)What is/are the common problem(s) you face when using “Teaching aids”? Please explain.
Mechanical failure of the machine or the devices Teacher: “The most horrible thing is when the machine (PC, projector, CD-player, etc…) stops in the middle of the instruction.
Difficulty in preparing the Teaching aids
1) Yokuo Murata and Mitsuru Yamaguchi, Education in Contemporary Japan, System and Content (1st edition, June 6th, 2010) published by TOSHINDO PUBLISHING CO., LTD, Tokyo Japan.
2) Kenji Kitao, PhD, Internet Resources: ELT, Linguistics, and Communication, (1st edition, Feb 25th,1998)published by Eichosha, Co., Ltd. Tokyo Japan.
3) Waleed A.Ghandora, A Qualitative Study of ESL College Students’ Attitudes about Computer- Assisted Writing Classes, , published: April 1, 2012(http://dx.doi.org /10.5539/elt.v5n4p57)
4) ICT in ELT: how did we get here and where are we going?, Gavin Dudeney and Nicky Hockly.(http://eltj.oxfordjournals.org/at Osaka Kyoiku University on September 29, 2012)
5) What is the problem of English education in Japan(15/nov/2012) https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:PxjPmuwUK9AJ:www.flang.keio.ac.jp/webfile/AWC/AWC2007/UG1_RU.pdf+&hl=en&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEEShZse7xwlZSBsHA_Izl7kbhO2Z4NF-K7i-cTvJWTQOxNVkH96JLsv3WFrwyreXQCsZ3auIV4WSXF__jaRzd_-iDdPHc5Mw03qgrhZMFR_iGM548gCtGoCIqYQrjWgZkxRG1cLSu&sig=AHIEtbQgzbv5ph0QU7nlk2vsnBuHmRBw5A
6) Evriklea Dogoriti, Perceptions and Attitudes towards Web-based ELT among English Teachers in Greece
7) ALINA PADUREAN& MANUELA MARGAN, Foreign Language Teaching via ICT, December 2009.
8) Solaimalai Rajaram, Effective use of Web-based Resources for Enhancing ESL Learning Environment, November 2012.
9) Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
10) Winslow Kelley & Thomas J. Serb Audio-visual aids and equipment, published by American society of planning officials, 1962
11) , Andre LESTAGE, 1959, The use of audio-visual aids in education
14) www.mext.go.jp/component/english/ icsFiles/…/1319707 1.pdf
15) Christine Canning-Wilson, Visuals &Language Learning: Is there a connection? Article 48, February 2001.
16) Canning, C. (1998) ‘Visual Perception and Language Learning’, TESOL Arabia News, 5:5, June 1998.
17) Canning, C. (1998) ‘The Role of Pictures in academic Testing’, TESOL Arabia news, June 1998.
18) Canning, C.(1998) ‘Visual support and Language Teaching’, TESOL Arabia news, March 1998
19) Canning , C., Implementing Visual support in F/SL Materials, Visual Support in ELT, March 1998
20) Lorena Yanez and Yvette Coyle, Children’s perception of learning with an interactive white board (http://eltjournals.org/at Osaka Kyoiku University, September 29, 2012).
100% of the teachers use teaching aids
1) Audio aids (tape recorder, CDs, etc.)
2) Visual aids (pictures, posters, etc.)
3) Audio visual aids (videos, films, etc.)
Visual aids are used at the presentation stage
Audio aids are used at the practice stage
Teaching aids are effective if they are used appropriately
Teachers' objectives are:
To facilitate learners' understanding
To raise learners' motivation
Teaching aids play an important role in ELT
It is advisable for English teachers to make use of ICT in their teaching practice
Why do we use Auidovisual Aids?