Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Hazardous waste disposal
Transcript of Hazardous waste disposal
A threat to public health or environment Characteristics Hazardous wastes are known to exhibit one or more of the following characteristics Flammability
Toxicity Storage refers to temporary storage of hazardous waste for treatment, transportation and disposal . Environmental and health hazards can arise during storage. This due to the fact that many spills/leakages can occur during this time. Storage of Hazardous waste TREATMENT
New technology is being created, which attempts to reduce the amount of hazardous waste produced in the first place. Any that is produced is most commonly destroyed or detoxified by a number of methods.Hazardous wastes may be treated to make disposal easier, to make the waste less toxic or hazardous. TREATMENT
Treatments can be classified as physical, chemical, biological or thermal. Physical treatments are used to separate solids from liquids through the use of physical and mechanical means. Chemical treatments are used to neutralize or reduce chemical components. Biological treatments are used to biodegrade diluted organic wastes, while thermal treatments are used to cause the vaporization, oxidation or other destruction of liquid or solid components. Alternate treatment and management methods
There are also a number of alternate ways of treating, managing, and destroying hazardous wastes. these technologies include low temperature oxidation, chlorine removal, and bio degradation. Hazardous waste exchange, recycling and reduction
Hazardous wastes make up to 20% of Canada’s waste management problem. Federal and Provincial regulations and agreements are in place to control the handling, storage, disposal and destruction of these wastes in Canada. Full use of these methods are waiting decisions by the provinces of the locations of new hazardous waste destruction facilities. Right Now other Facilties are handiling bigger amounts of hazardous wastes. The federal government will take further action to reduce the generation of hazardous wastes and ensure their safe transportation and disposal in Canada. These measures will include:
.The development of a computerized tracking system to monitor the movement of hazardous wastes in and out of Canada
co-operation with the provinces, completing regulations and guidelines for the safe management of hazardous waste includes reduction, re-use, recovery, recycling, transportation, storage and disposal and...
...supporting technology aimed at reducing, recycling and re-using hazardous wastes, or at their safe destruction. 5 WAYS TO CLEAN/REDUCE HAZARDOUS WASTE
5. Incinerators are one way in which hazardous waste can be disposed of properly. The EPA reports that incineration can destroy toxic organisms in hazardous waste which will in turn cut down on the overall amount of waste. However, since not all waste (for example, metal) can be incinerated, other methods must be explored.
4. One way to help reduce hazardous waste is through emission control. Congress declared in the Clean Air Act, Title 42 of the US Code, that air pollution prevention is everyone’s responsibility. Abiding by or actually exceeding emission standards is a great way of disposing of hazardous waste since the less you produce the less you will have to dispose of.
3. Sharing of your hazardous waste is one way to dispose of it. For instance, if you have extra lawn fertilizer sitting in your garage, share it with your neighbor. You can also donate paint to places such as Habitat For Humanity or to a local contractor. Anything that you can do to use the product as opposed to dispose of it can be helpful to the environment.
2. One of the newest methods used to dispose of hazardous waste is referred to as bioremediation. According to The American Society of Civil Engineers, bioremediation involves using recombinant and natural microorganisms to break down waste. Bioremediation can be done both onsite and offsite and is mainly used to treat areas that are already contaminated with hazardous waste.
1. Recycling is becoming ever more popular when it comes to disposing of hazardous waste. Used oil is a common waste product that is harmful if dumped into a landfill. As such, disposing of it has become difficult. Companies are now recycling used oil into other products such as different grades of oil. WORKS CITED
Meakin, S. (n.d.). Hazardous Waste Management: Canadian Directions. BP-323E. Retrieved October 14, 2012, from publications.gc.ca/collections/Collection-R/LoPBdP/BP/bp323-e.htm#C. Storage(txt)
Meyer, J. (n.d.). 10 Effective Ways to Clean Up Hazardous Waste. environmental graffiti. Retrieved October 14, 2012, from www.environmentalgraffiti.com/conservation/news-10-effective-ways-clean-hazardous-waste what is hazardous waste storage? What is hazardous waste treatment and how is it done? How is the government dealing with hazardous waste disposal? THESIS STATEMENT What is a hazardous waste and how is it reduced, treated, stored and what is the government doing about it? This is what Hazardous waste does to Bananas