Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Grimm Fairy Tales
Transcript of Grimm Fairy Tales
Hansel & Gretel
Jorinda & Joringel
Main Gothic Elements found in these three stories.
The Grimm Brothers
Wilhelm and Jacob Grimm or the 'Grimm Brothers' are actually only two of the 9 children in the Grimm Family.
Only 6 of the children see adulthood
They were both born in the late 1700s
Both studied Law at the University of Marburg
Death of their parents forced the two brothers to become librarians to support their younger siblings.
Became Professors at the University of Berlin.
Both die in their seventies during the late 1800s.
Inspired by Clemens Brentano and Achim von Arnim's folk tales
1814- First collection of stories entitled Kinder- und Hausmärchen, or Children and Household tales, was released.
It contained 86 tales.
By the second volume, Kinder- und Hausmärchen had 70 additional stories
By the final version (7th ed.), there were 200 stories and 10 'Children's Legends.'
**Is thought to be the best book of the German language.
NO Fairy Godmother
NO magic pumpkin carriage
NO Glass Slipper
NO Time Constraints
Cinderella = Aschenputtel
There is no
The Female Gothic
- Cinderella is controlled by her step mother and father and lacks the ability to break free from her corrupt family until her prince sets her free.
**Damsel in distress**
-Cinderella is imprisoned by her family and her house
-Cinderella spends most of her time sitting at her mother's grave and talking to her deceased mother.
- The animals in this story have the ability to talk and seem to be magical
ie, giving Cinderella a dress and shoes.
- the step sisters cut off part of their feet to fit into the shoe and the birds from Cinderella's tree pluck out each of the sisters' eye balls.
-lost in the forest, trapped in the witch's house
-the forest seems to be a typical gothic setting embodying the unknown and the mysterious.
Loss of Innocence
- Hansel and Gretel, children, kill a witch to save their own lives.
- the witch and her powers are of the supernatural but also the animals in the story are supernatural.
- a duck carried the children across a lake.
personal losses= gothic elements?
desire for happiness= happy endings?
Food for Thought
"Grimm Brothers' Home Page." Grimm Brothers' Home Page. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.
"Google Images." Google Images. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2013.