Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Marching Band - Nerd Nite Presentation
Transcript of Marching Band - Nerd Nite Presentation
Different aspects to a marching show...
Summer Band Camp - 12 Hours/5 days
Typical School Week - 7 hours outside of the school day (Colorguard/Percussion up to 10 hours)
Football Games - School goes non-stop from 6:30am - 10:30pm on Friday
Competitions - At least four - 8-12 hour day on a Saturday
Fall Break - Usually 2-3 days of rehearsal and a competition
So now you have your show! How do you teach it to kids?
Yes, it's a real thing. And it's SO FUN!
Challenges particular to Arizona/Hayden
It's REALLY HOT in Arizona
Elementary Districts - the bane of my existence
The only good thing AZ has that other states don't
* AZ Schools Tax Credit
* Capital budget
High School Marching Band
* Show: 7-8 Minutes Long
* Purpose - Competition
* Taken as a class
* Selecting a show
* Judge Pleasers
* Season runs from the summer until November
College Marching Band
* Almost entirely meant to be 'fun'.
* Rehearsal schedule
* Variety of shows
* Most marching band members are NOT music majors.
* Like "pro" marching bands
* Rehearsals start in January, then
corps travel and compete all summer.
* DCI Championships are shown in
* No woodwinds
Depends on the program
* Can be arranged or composed fresh (anywhere from $1,000 - several thousand)
* Can be bought from a marching show company (packaged stock music) - from $500 - $2,000
* Can be borrowed from another school (free)
* Usually percussion is separate - can be another $1,000 to have that written (even if you buy stock music - you probably want your percussion book arranged separately).
* Where does drill come from? (I've done all three)
* Hire someone to write it : $1,000-$10,000 (seriously!)
* Buy it in a package with your music: $700 - $1500
* Write it yourself!!!!
Things to consider when writing drill:
The Mechanics of Sound
Band should always be 'listening back' to the drumline.
Therefore, drumline must stay near the center, usually behind the winds.
Instruments playing 'like' parts should be placed together too.
(My New World Symphony disaster of 2010)
* Low Brass
What shapes do I draw?
General Rule: Soft pretty music needs curvy/flowy forms
Loud Exciting music needs straight lines and the band moving forward.
General Rule: Every 30-60 seconds needs a "WOW" moment - either musically or visually.
And you just hope your 'WOW' moment is not something like this....
No clue. I hire Lynn to do all that for me.
* Standing at Attention (audience participation!!!)
* Marching Step
* Horn Angles
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THAT
EVERYONE LOOKS THE SAME!!!!
Also - integration of colorguard is important.