Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
What is Abstract Art?
Transcript of What is Abstract Art?
a few more...
What do you think of when you see these?
That's easy... I could do that? My 3 year old sister can paint better than that?
art that does not attempt to represent external, recognizable reality but seeks to achieve its effect using shapes, forms, colors, and textures.
This painting is by Jackson Pollock. It's called Autumn Rhythm (1950). It was made by flinging cans of house paint onto canvas to evoke a feeling or sensation- not to represent "a thing.' His style was gestural. When asked if his title meant he was painting from nature, he said "I am nature!'
This painting is by Piet Mondrian. It is called Broadway Boogie Woogie (1942). It suggests the city's grid, the movement of traffic, and blinking electric lights, as well as the rhythms of jazz-which Mondrian was a fan of. Mondrian tried to create emotional states by using nonrepresentational line and color.
This is called Composition 8 (1923) by Kandinsky. He would use geometric shapes and vivid colors to evoke emotional states. He was inspired by music.
Traditional Styles of Painting
Most of us have seen these well known paintings before...
What will we be doing?
1. You will find a photograph of a landscape on the computer.
2. You will create and abstraction of this landscape and simplify it to a series of basic shapes (triangle, circle or square) and several colors in the photograph.
Here is an example:
Objectives for Abstract Geometric Drawing
A) Abstract a landscape by simplifying it to one geometric shape and colors (one dark, one light, one dull, one bright + Black OR White).
B) Demonstrate the use of repetition in drawing while creating a balanced, abstract composition.