Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The Evolution of Giraffes
Transcript of The Evolution of Giraffes
Sarah Hillen The Giraffe The Family of the Giraffe The giraffe comes from the family known as giraffidae. Giraffids are mammals that have cloven hooves Giraffids have been around since 5.3-13.7 years ago. The only other giraffid that exists it the okapi, which is shown in this picture. Today giraffids only live in sub-Saharan Africa Other Extinct Giraffids Where the Giraffe Comes From The order of the family Giraffidae is known as Artiodactyla, animals in this order are mammals with cloven hooves. The Evolutionary Tree of the Giraffe Key MM and mm- Million Years
MM- time span - present time
mm- begining of time span to end of time span Years Ago:
Nubian Somali Smoky Kordofan Maasai Rotheschild South African Rhodesian WestAfrican
5.3-23.0MM: Palaeotragus Samotherium Giarffe Okapi
5.3-23.0mm: Climacoceratidae 5.3-13.7MM: Giraffidae
Artiodactyla -The Sametherium is an extict giraffid in the group known as Climacoceratidae.
-They had short necks and two ossicones on their head that pointed upwards and curved backwards -Prolibytherium -Climacoceras' resemble a deer having large antler-like ossicones.
-They were about 5 feet tall.
- -Similar to todays giraffe.
-Had large horns that were leaf-shaped.
-It was 6 feet tall. Giraffes Today -Giraffes are hooved animals that live in sub-Saharan Africa.
-Giraffes are the tallest animals on Earth.
- The diet of a giraffe includes twigs and branches of trees. THE END