Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
DAVID HEAP - ART - IDEAS AND REALITIES
Transcript of DAVID HEAP - ART - IDEAS AND REALITIES
DESIGNER - MAKER IN CONTEXT
ART - IDEAS AND REALITIES
DR DAVID HEAP
THE PURPOSE OF THIS SESSION
- TO ENCOURAGE YOU TO CONSIDER THE IDEA OF 'ART'
- TO BEGIN TO GAIN AN UNDERSTANDING OF
THE PURPOSES AND VALUES OF FINE ART
- TO SUPPLY INFORMATION AND INSIGHT FOR
YOUR DEBATE/ESSAY WORK
THE DECORATIVE ARTS
(Contemporary - Applied Arts or Crafts)
(The Craftsman - utility is the common end)
THE 'FINE' ARTS
Classical Music (Theatre)
Art lacks a satifactory definition;
it is generally easier to describe it as the way something is done - rather than what it is
'Fine art is created for purely aesthetic expression,
communication or contemplation'
'A term used to distinguish artworks considered to have rare and refined quality, often considered - by those who make such judgements - to be more worthy of preservation and study than 'popular' or 'low' art'
'The power of art is the power of unsettling surprise.. beyond the delivery of beauty...disruption of the banal...an alternative kind of vision; a dramatised kind of seeing...we get shocked'
Where does this leave 'new art'?
The Internet (viral work)
Social Media (Apps?)
Can we consider these disciplines as 'art'?
'Art is terribly important as a survival mechanism in
any culture...it is the most powerful instrument for survival
...at its fullest capacity [it] makes us attentive'
valuable? worthwhile? attentive making? Art?