Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Inequalities of Gender and Age in America
Transcript of Inequalities of Gender and Age in America
Discrimination based on gender. Also known as sexism
Women vs. Men Income
•Women get paid 77 cents on the dollar for every dollar a man makes
- Among College graduates, women make 82 cents of every dollar a man makes
The state of being male or female.
is sexism legal?
Certain forms of sex discrimination are illegal in some countries like the USA . In others, discrimination may be legally sanctioned under a variety of circumstances.
The Glass Ceiling
when women are held down in the workplace not being allowed to advance past a certain point
Women's Rights Movement
- In 1848 the first women's rights convention is held in Seneca Falls, New York.
- The primary goal was to earn women the right to vote
- In 1920 the 19th amendment was signed giving women the right to vote
- The Equal Pay Act of 1963 protects men and women who perform substantially equal work in the same establishment from sex-based wage discrimination
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA), which protects individuals who are 40 years of age or older;
Women in workplace
Of the 123 million women age 16 years and over in the U.S., 72 million, or 58.6 percent, were labor force participants.
Women comprised 47 percent of the total U.S. labor force
1. Registered nurses 91.1 %
2. Elementary and middle school teachers- 81.8 %
3. Medical and health services managers- 72.5%
4. Psychologists- 66.7%
5. Tax examiners, collectors, and revenue agents- 66.1%
Common stereotypes of women are that they are stay at home moms. They can't do hard work like men. They are supposed to cook, clean, and take care of children
its more common now for women to have jobs so that they can have another income for their family
2 income families