Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Great Gatsby - Chapter 5
Transcript of The Great Gatsby - Chapter 5
"Gatsby, pale as death, with his hands plunged like weights in his coats pockets was standing in a puddle of water glaring tragically into my eyes( Fitzgerald 86)
"Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent over her head in to the shirts and begun to cry stormily"( Fitzgerald 92) -
" It had seemed as close as a star to the moon" (Fitzgerald 93)
In this chapter, Nick is willing to set up Gatsby with Daisy. Nick invites then over for tea hoping they will reconnect with each other. On the rainy day, Gatsby arrives at Nick's house waiting nervously for Daisy for come. When Gatsby and Daisy meet for the first time in 5 years, they are very awkward with each other. Nick leaves the room for a while and When he comes back he finds Gatsby glowing and Daisy crying. Gastby invites Daisy along with Nick over to his house to show off his riches. Gatsby and Daisy hold hands while Mr. Klipspringer plays the piano. Nick feels awkward and leaves the two alone.
"Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily" (Fitzgerald, 92)
-This quote reveals how materialistic Daisy is. Daisy mourns over the fact that she could have had both money and love with Gatsby. She realizes how empty she feels being married to Tom.
"Well, this would interest you. It wouldn't take up much of your time and you might pick up a nice bit of money. It happens to be rather confidential sort of thing." (Fitzgerald 83)
-Gatsby is offers Nick a chance to make some money by joining on on a side business. He does this in favour of setting him up with Daisy. Nick rejects the offer because he is slightly offended that he wants to pay him for setting him up with Daisy. Nick still agrees to calling Daisy.
"They had forgotten me, but Daisy glanced up and held out her hand,Gatsby didn't know me now at all. I looked once more at them and looked back at me, remotely, possessed by intense life" (Fitzgerald 96,97)
- This quote shows how infatuated Gatsby and Daisy are with each other. They see nothing beyond their love to the point where Nick is being ignored.
"But there was a change in Gatsby that was simplicity confounding. He literally glowed; without a word or gesture of exultation a new well-being radiated from him and filled the little room" (Fitzgerald 89,90)
“Possibly it had occurred to him that the colossial significance of that light had now vanished forever. Compared to the great distance that separated him from Daisy it had seemed very near to her. It had seemed as close as a star to the moon Now it was again a green light on a dock. His count of enchanted objects had diminished by one.”((Fitzgerald 93)
- The green light represents Gatsby’s dream; which is to win Daisy’s love. When he and Daisy finally gets together, the significance of the light “vanishes”.Gatsby must face the reality of his relationship with Daisy rather than the one he created for her.
- This quote reveals that Gatsby thinks he had finally achieve his goal of “The American Dream” ; Which is to be with Daisy.