Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
1. Protest Songs (Grade 8)
Transcript of 1. Protest Songs (Grade 8)
What is this Protesting?
Southern Man - Neil Young, 1970
The Needle and the Damage Done
- Neil Young, 
Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell 
Vietnam War: 1965-1975
In Your Listening Journal....
1. In what ways can rock musicians influence society?
John Lennon 
War - Edwin Starr 
Which do you think is more effective?
Write your own verse to this song with an environmental message for today...
A Tribute to Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin
(Although Young has not been involved with drugs, his earlier band Buffalo Springfield broke up because of drug issues.)
2. What song have you heard that is an effective protest song? What does it protest? What makes it effective?
3. If you were going to write a protest song, what topic would you pick to write about?
- What songs from the 70s and 80s are you familiar with? (3 or 4 song titles)
- What words best describe the music of the 70s and 80s? (3 or 4 adjectives or phrases)
- What similarities do you think there are between this music and the music of the present day?
-List 2 or 3 things you hope to learn in this module.
As we continue through this module, you will see dates that appear in brackets, eg. .
Record the date and the event that it is linked to in a separate page of your listening journal. At the end of our unit, we will be constructing a timeline of significant events in the evolution of music through the seventies and eighties.
Before we begin...
Musicians whose careers were cut short due to drug abuse...