Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Bronze alloy
In fact, almost every piece of metal we use in our daily life is an alloy. What are alloys? Relative cost Bronze Metal Alloys Properties of bronze Disadvantages Advantages How is bronze produced? Uses of bronze Affect of marine environment Types of bronze - MODERN BRONZE: 88% copper and 12% tin.
- PHOSPHOR BRONZE: 0.5 to 11% tin and 0.01 to 0.35% phosphorus.
- SILICON BRONZE: 96% copper, 3% silicon and 1% manganese. Bronze age 3000 BC 2013 New technologies There are many types of bronze. Each type has a unique combination and composition of different types of metals. Some of the most commonly used types of bronze include: - Strength - Strength - Easily cast - Easily cast - Deterioration - Deterioration Bronze is produced by 'alloying' the base metal and the additional metal. This means smelting both metals and combing them in a 'bronze casting furnace'.
Copper has a melting point of 1,085 °C, while tin has a melting point of only 231.9 °C. Once both metals are in their molten state, they are combined. Once combined, a mold can be used to create the desired shape of the bronze. Bronze is an alloy created by 'alloying' copper and tin together in various amounts. Metals such as phosphorus, silicon and manganese can be added to create a bronze alloy with specific properties. Bronze has an incredible strength. This makes it a great alloy for tools. Bronze has poor resistance to certain environments including acid rain, urban pollution and ammonia. Bronze is easy to cast, making it perfect for sculptures. - Electrical conductivity Bronze is able of conducting electricity, making it an excellent alloy for electrical connectors and bolts. Bronze coins are usually the first thing people think of when they hear the word bronze. Due to the different properties, bronze can be used for many different purposes. Bells Bronze is extremely sonorous making it the perfect building material for creating different types of bells, including massive church bells. Sculptures Bronze is a perfect metal for the creation of sculptures due to the fact that it is easily molded. It will also expand in a mold, giving sculptures the ability to add great detail to their sculptures. Door handles Bronze has the characteristic of having very low metal-on-metal friction. This makes it the perfect alloy for the creation of door handles and decorations. The discovery of bronze changed the course of humanity. Slowly but gradually people found more and more uses for the alloy, eventually leading to the current uses discussed earlier. 5000 Years ago bronze was first discovered. The first technological development that occurred was the production of bronze weapons. Development of bronze Time - Conductivity 'Bronze disease' is a form of corrosion that may form after long exposure to water or urban pollution. This corrosion is very similar to rust. This chemical reaction is caused by a set of chemical reactions that involve the chlorides of a copper alloy and water. This can be prevented from occurring by keeping the bronze dry and removing any moisture. - Price of copper: 7,350 USD/t
- Price of tin: 20,830 USD/t The cost of bronze can be determined by discovered by analyzing the costs of the composition metals copper and tin. Price of bronze with a composition of 88% copper and 12% tin: $8967.60/t (7,350/100) x 88 = $6468
(20,830/100) x 12 = $2499.60