Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Islam in the modern world
Transcript of Islam in the modern world
By: Osama Baig
What is Islam?
* Word "Islam" is Derived from the arabic root word "Salam" which means peace
* Islam means: "peace acquired through submitting your will to almighty God"
* A muslim is a person who submits his/her will to the one God and acquires peace as a result.
* Factors such as politics and media have caused people in the world to misinterpret Islam
* Due to this, many at times muslims are stereotyped and misjudged
* Attacked for promoting terrorism and oppressing woman, just what does this religion preach?
* To find out, we need to tackle these problems head-to-head and truly find out for ourselves
* Being a muslim who understands islam, i condemn these acts as heretic and devilish. These acts are everything that islam stands against, and these people are not seen as muslim in the eyes of the majority.
* Due to the actions of a few, the religion and its mass followers have been subject to criticism
* He who kills a human being- unless it be for (murdering) a person or for (reforming) disorder in the country, it is as if he has killed the entire human race. And whoso saves a (human) life it is as if he has saved the entire humankind. (Al-Maidah, Verse 32)
* From an islamic perspective, taking the life of any person is forbidden and can be compared to taking the life of every human in this world
* Therefore these people who commit evil acts lack knowledge of religion and use it for their own political, economic and worldly desires
islam in the Modern World
* Currently the worlds fastest growing religion
* Aprox: 1.5 Billion muslims in the world, representing about 22% of the worlds population
* Although islam shows confidence through its numbers, the religion itself is not understood very well among muslims and non-muslims
* Should you lay your hand on me to kill me, i am not at all going to lay my hand on you to kill you. I do fear Allah, the Lord of the worlds. (Al-Ma'idah, verse 28)
* Allah enjoins justice and the doing of good to others and giving like kindred and he forbids indecencies and manifest evil and transgression. (Al-Nahl, Verse 90)
* O O people! We have created you out of a male and a female, and We have made you tribes and sub-tribes that you may recognize (and do good to) one another. Surely the most honorable of you in the sight of Allâh is he Who guards against evil the most. Verily, Allâh is All-Knowing, All-Aware. [49:13]
Women in islam
* Often presumed that women are oppressed and degraded in islam
* ‘O Messenger of God! Who among the people is the most worthy of my good companionship and love? The Prophet said: Your mother. The man said, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man further asked, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your mother. The man asked again, ‘Then who?’ The Prophet said: Then your father. (Bukhari, Muslim).
* Hijab is not only the physical aspect (dress-code), it is also the outward behavior of individuals
* A False presumption made is that the Hijab is only meant for the women
* God prescribes the Hijab for the man before that of the women
* Say to the believing men to lower their gazes and guard their chastity.That is purer and best for them. Surely, Allâh is Well-Aware of what they do. (24:30)
* The hijab uplifts the woman/man, so that others recognize them based on their personalities rather then their outward appearance
* Your Heaven lies under the feet of your mother (Ahmad, Nasai).
* “Whoever takes care of two girls until they reach adulthood – he and I will come (together) on the Day of Resurrection – and he interlaced his fingers with mine. (Sahih Al muslim)
“Whoever has three daughters or sisters, or two daughters of two sisters, and lives along with them in a good manner, and has patience with them, and fears Allah with regard to them will enter Paradise.” (Abu Dawud, Al-Tirmidhee)
* Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more (strength) than the other, and because they support them from their means. (4:34)
* And in no wise covet those things in which Allah Hath bestowed His gifts More freely on some of you than on others: To men is allotted what they earn, and to women what they earn: But ask Allah of His bounty. For Allah hath full knowledge of all things.(4:32)
The Quran and Modern Science
* Science plays an important role in the modern world. What is islam's perspectives on modern day science.
* Do those who disbelieve not see that the heavens and the earth were (once) one mass all closed up, then We rent them apart. And it is from water that We created all life. Will they not believe (in the face of all this). [21:30]
* Big bang theory: The universe was a primary nebula, big bang occurred and created our present day universe
* Evolution: All living things on earth were once water-born micro-organism's that evolved as a result of the earths prehistoric atmosphere
* Again, He directed Himself towards the space. Behold! It was (like) a mass of gas. (The Almighty God) said to it (- the space) and to the earth, ‘Come both of you (in obedience to Me) willingly or unwillingly.’ They said, ‘We obey you with all our will.’ [41:11]
* As a result of the big bang explosion, all matter was in a gaseous form, which through years of change became our existing universe
* And the sun is moving (on its ordained course) towards the goal determined for it. That is the determining of the All-Mighty, the Possessor of perfect knowledge. [36:38]
* Previously thought the sun was a stationary body that didnt move, we find out now that the sun travels at 828,000 km/hr, orbiting around the milky way toward the solar epix, just as it has been described in the Quran.
*And it is He Who created the night and the day, the sun and the moon.
They are all gliding along smoothly in (their respective) orbits. [21:33]
* And the heaven We constructed with strength, and indeed, We are [its] expander. (51:47)
* Discovery made by the astronaut "Edwin Hubble" in 1929 we know that the universe is slowly expanding
* And the earth and that (great being) who expanded it (91:6)
* Through means of continental drift, we know that the earth had (pangea) expanded and is still expanding to this very day
*And We have made the heavens as a canopy well guarded: yet do they turn away from the Signs which these things (point to)! (21:32)
* Atmosphere has protective layers that protect us from radiation (from outer space)
* Who created human being from a clot (96:2)
* The arabic word used for "clot" is "Alaq" has three meanings. 1) "clot": refering to the germinating cell(embryo) 2) "clinging object": refering to the embryo and how it clings to the uterine wall 3) "leach like": an embryo is visually very similar to an embryo. The embryo even acts like a leach (blood sucker).
* " No doubt, we have power to reproduce him to a complete form even to the very tips of his fingers" (75:4)
* Specified that the finger tips(finger prints) are unique to every individual. This matches with modern science, even identical twins do not have matching finger-prints
* He creates you in the wombs of your mothers, a creation, stage by stage (making you pass) through three periods of darkness. (39:6)
* The quran tells us that the embryo goes through multiple stages to come into being
* Then we reduced him to a drop of sperm (and place him in a safe depository (23:13)
* Gives the description of the first stage of human reproduction
* Then we form the sperm into a clot; then we develop the clot into a lump of flesh; then we fashion bones out of this lump of flesh, then we clothe the bones with flesh, thereafter we evolve him into another being. Therefore blessed be Allah the best of creators. (23:14)
* This verse was brought to professor Keith moore professor of anatomy at the university of Toronto in the year 199o. He was amazed by these verses and stated that the quranic description of the birth cycle surpasses that of current modern day technqiues
* The arabs of mecca were split into various tribes, where the "Quraysh" were the leading
* Prophet Muhammed was born into the family of "Quraysh" in 570 BCE
* During this time, the arabs worshiped idol gods and society was mostly held polytheistic beliefs
* This time span was better known as "Yawmal Jahiliyyah", or in english, the days of ignorance
* The Meccan society as a whole lacked morals. Acts such as female infanticide, mis-treatment of woman/the poor and overall disorder in society were common trends
* Raised by his uncle Abd-Al-Mutallib whom was the leader of the Quraysh tribe, the prophet witnessed and experienced these day to day atrocities first hand
Life of the prophet
* Born and raised in Mecca, prophet muhammed was orphaned at an early age
* Spending part of his youth as a Shepard, he earned his small living expenses
* As he got older the prophet took on the carvan trades as a merchant and later met his business partner and soon to become wife "Khatija"
* Married and settled down, the prophet continued the trade and spent much of his time at "Ghari-Hirra" or cave of Hirrah
* At this cave, prophet muhammed recieved his first revelation.
* Met by the arch angel gabriel, prophet muhammed was truly frightened
* Gabriel spoke to the prophet and said "Iqra" or read. After the prophet responeded " La ana be Qari" or in english "i am unlearned"
* After the angel had left, the prophet ran quickly ran toward his home, to ask his wife for guidance
* The prophets wife advised him to visit her cousin whom was educated an educated Christan Ebionite priest
* After describing the events that took place and what he saw, khadija's cousin, Waraka ibn Nawfal, told muhammed that he was the last and final prophet whom was prophized in the bible
* At first, prophet muhammed couldnt believe this himself, but having faith in the scriptures Khadija was the first to believe and become the very first convert to islam
* Muslims believe the Quran to be prophet muahmmed's greatest miracle
* These were the direct words of god that were brought down to prophet muhammed by the arch-angel gabriel throughout his 20 years of preaching
* At first the Quran was memorized by prophet muhammed's followers and written down by scribes on leather, animal bones, stone and tree bark
* Although muslim’s believe Islam was there since the beginning, starting from Adam, it was revealed throughout the ages from prophets. Revealing sacred scripture in the form of books ex: Torah, Gospels and Psalm’s, these scriptures were changed overtime. As a result there were things that were added on to the main religion. The coming of the last prophet muhammed re-established and solidified the Islamic faith, with the quran as his greatest miracle and the last revelation from God.
* The Quran is the final testement brought down to the last prophet and will be preserved in its original form until the day of judgement
* Most followers of the prophet memorized the Quran by heart and had the verses engraved into there memories
* After the death of the prophet, Abu-Baqar-Siddique, the first Khalifa and apostle, was given a mission to compile the Quran into its final book form due to the misleading versions that were popping up at the time
* Using their memories and the chapters written down by authentic scribes, the quran was finally given the form of a book
* Currently there are millions of people in the world who know the Quran by heart and are called "Hafiz-ul-Quran" or Guardians of the Quran
* In order to protect their scripture and prevent it from changing (like the Torah, Gospels and Psalms), the Quran is read and memorized by heart from people of various age groups and ethnicitys
War and Violence
* Many misunderstand Prophet muhammed as being someone who promoted war and thought it was correct to fight in the name of god
* Looking back at the historical context of islam and understanding the situations of that time, people will cease to have these incorrect perceptions
* While preaching his belief of the "One God" , the leaders of Meccan tribes hated the prophet not directly becuase of what he preached, but due to the fact that it effected them economically
* Having been a pilgramage sight for polythestics with idol gods surrounding it, the kaaba served as a business for the tribal leaders
* As the prophit Disapproved idol worship, the number of people that visited kaaba had a significant decrease. Due to this, businesses that dealt with slavery, protitution, drugs and the overall pilgramage to the kaaba suffered dearly. Realizing their economic loss, the meccan's chose to rebell against the prophet in addtion to those who followed him
* Tortured, ridiculed and murdered, muslims went through many struggles to simply follow and practice their faith
* As a result, many of the wars/battles fought by the prophet were in self defense, and due to the circumstances that muslims were in
* Being a small minority compared to the Meccan's, war was the last and final resort for muslims
* People who do not understand the historical aspect of these wars usually compare the military aspect of the prophet to that of the crusaders and the early church. This is a very weak comparison because the wars that muslims fought were in self-defence and were'nt based on forcefully converting people. As explained before, these wars had nothing to do with religion but were instigated by the Meccans due to their economic loss.
* In these wars, various treaty's and pledges were signed to prevent further casualties and were very beneficial for society as a whole.
* Society ruled by islamic law allowed people of all faiths to practice their religion freely
* Mosques served as both places of worship and community centers where christians, pagans, jews and muslims alike would debate, hold events and understand one another
Spread of Islam
* Muslim military strength helped various peoples in times of need. For example the protection of the St.Catherines monastary loacted at foot of Mt.Sinai holding the second largest number of religious manuscripts (second to the Vatican), was offered by prophet muhammed. This is was not only for a specfic situationbut an everlasting promise that makes it every muslims responsibility to protect christians and their places of worship.
Letter to St. Catherines Monastery
This is a message from Muhammad ibn Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them.
Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them.
No compulsion is to be on them.
Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries.
No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses.
Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate.
No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight.
The Muslims are to fight for them.
If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray.
Their churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them nor the sacredness of their covenants.
No one of the nation (Muslims) is to disobey the covenant till the Last Day (end of the world).
* Women were given their rights to have a say in society and treated as persons with utmost repect. Islam was the first to give women the right to divorce and break their marriage contract. Female infanticide was finally abolished.
* Prophet muhammed's sayings lead to the abolishment of slavery and equal rights to people of all ethnic diversities. The first man to give the call to prayer (Adhan), was "Bilal", whom was a black slave freed by prophet muhammed.
* The Kalifate democracy was sparked by the abolishing of monarchy (no man is born greater then another). This system lead to the spread of islam to various parts of the world.
* The prohibition of all drugs, more specifically alcohol had great benefits to sociaty, as it was previously a norm that destroyed families, relationships and life itself
* Islam is a way of life in which an individual submits his/her will to god and in the process achieves peace
* The followers of this religion base their moral conduct and practices on the most sacred scripture "The Quran" and authentic sayings of the prophet, "Hadith". Anyone who follows these two things is considered a muslim.
* Seeing the last prophet as a role model, muslims attempt to live their lives according to his teachings
Way of Life
* Having a strong belief in the here after known as "Yawmal-kiayamah" day of reckoning, muslims believe they will be judged for their actions accordingly. Either punished for their sins or rewarded for their good deeds.
* The concept of heaven and hell is also present in the Islamic faith. Reffered to as "The Garden", this is were the good people will stay for all of eternity. Contrastingly, those who do sin are to be punished in eternal hell fire.
* With this in mind, the mission of a muslim is to do good deeds, follow the law prescribed in the Quran and live a life with prophet muhammed as a role model.
The five Pillars
* The five pillars of islam are essential to a muslims faith. These pillars focus on community, individuality, understanding and practice
* The first pillar is Shahadah: "There is no god but Allah and prophet Muhammad is his messenger. This pillar focuses on understanding the base of the islamic faith and slowly building up from it.
* The second pillar is Salat: Prayer five times a day during certain intervals. This pillar focuses on community. Salat is preferably prayed with the community, standing shoulder to shoulder, feet to feet muslims pray as a community of brothers and sisters regardless of race, color or status. Everyone is the same in the eyes of God.
*he third pillar is Zakat: This is manditory alms givings of 2.5 of your yearly income(for those whom can afford it). This pillar also focuses on the community and helps with the circulation of wealth among the poor
* The fourth pillar is Swam: This is fasting from food, sexual intercourse, swearing, spending large sums of money and sin for the lunar month of Ramadan. This pillar focuses on Induviduality such that it helps fight off temptation against sin and worldly desires.
* last pillar is Hajj: This pilgramage to mecca is the worlds largest annual gathering that marks Hagars journey through the dessert to find water for her thristy son. This pillar focues on community. Showing a massive display of muslim brotherhood, muslims from all corners of the world meet in this one place. Wearing the same 2 pieace white cloth and having their heads shaved symbolizes that everyone is the same in the eyes of God. A king or a popper cannot be distingushed within the crowed.
* The religion of islam has no symbol that represents the faith
* A specific symbol strongly associated with islam is the crescent moon and star. From a historical aspect it was first used by the Roman empire. This was later adopted by the ottoman empire which conquered the city of Constantinople.
* A words that is symbolic to the faith is the word "Allah" arabic, this word alone is significant to muslims.
* The Quran itself means the recitation and its poetic verses are read a loud. A very attractive and pleasing sound, the recitation of the Quran can be considered as music.
* Specified as "Halal", which is very similar to the Jewish "Kosher", muslims also have dietary laws to which they follow
* Foods are specified into two catagories, Haram: Forbidden and Halal: Allowed or pure
* In the broad catagory of halal are all vegitables and fruits (non-poisonous, lethal toxic ect), seafood and meat from various herbivorous animals such as chicken, lamb, cow (animals that chew of the cud)
* Haram are foods that do more harm then good. Things in this catagory include flesh of the swine, any drugs or intoxicants, any animal with canines (carnivore) and anything that might bring harm to your body
* The procedure of cutting the animal is very important for muslims as it validates Halal authenticity. First and foremost, the animal is be cut in the name of the one god. Using a sharp knife, the windpipe and jugular arterie is cut. With this, majority of the animals blood is pumped out. This meats is much more healthier as it doesnt have the amount of blood that factory farmed (machine cut), cattle tend to have. Halal is a healthier option that is also prescribed in the old testement.
*Islam is the worlds second largest religion
* Thought the Islamic faith was here since Adam, it really initiated and took a huge gathering due to muhammed who was born in Mecca
*Islam is a predominant religion in the Middle East, in Sahel, in the horn of Africa, and northern Africa
* Also large amounts of Muslim communities are also found in China, Balkans and Russia, while other parts of the world host large Muslims immigrant communities, for example in western Europe Islam is the second largest religion after Christianity, and hold 6% of their population
* According to a Pew research that was done in 2010 their were 49 Muslim majority countries, about 62% of the Muslims faith live in south and south east Asia, with over 1 Billion adherents
* Currently the country with the largest muslim population is Indonesia home to 12.7% of the Muslim population
*With Pakistan at 11%, followed by India at 10.9%, while Bangladesh has a population of 9.2%
* The research also states that 205 of Muslims live in the Arab countries, while non-Arab countries in the Middle East such as turkey and Iran are the largest Muslim majority countries.
*Of the population of Muslims there are also groups within it, such as Sunni with a population percent of 88%, while Shias have a population of about 12. Most Shias live in for countries (between 75%- 85%) Iran, Pakistan, India, and Iraq
* COOL FACT: a study was taken place by Pew Research in 2010 and was released in 2011 which stated that their were 1.62 billion Muslims around the world and that countries such as united kingdom contained more Muslims then Lebanon, also china contain more Muslims then Syria.
* One of the most important pilgrimage sites for Muslims is the city of Mecca, which is regarded as the holiest place for the faith of Islam
* The reason Mecca is so holy is due to the fact it contains the holiest sight the Kaaba and also the “center of the universe”
* The Kaaba in Arabic translates to “the Cube” which is also known as “ the sacred house”
* The Kaaba is so sacred to the Islamic faith that during prayer time the person must be facing it at all time no matter where they are, this is called Qiblah
* The Kaaba is so famous due to the fact that it has been constructed and reconstructed by prophets like, Adam, Abraham, Ishmael, and Muhammed
* During this pilgrimage, men and women alike are to practice the ceremony of “Hajj”
* Being one of the five pillars of Islam, it is very crucial for every person (who can afford it) to make this pilgrimage
* Tracing the footsteps of Hagar, Muslims re-play the role of her searching for water between the mountains of marwah and safah
* This pilgrimage also symbolizes unity due to the apparel and appearance that people take on
* The second holiest place Medina which translates to “the Radiant city” Medina is home to the second holiest sights for the Islamic faith known as the, which is also referred to as Masjid Al-Nabwe which means the Prophets Mosque
* Also known as the city of the prophet, it holds the very first mosque built called “Masjid Al-Nabwe” which holds the burial sight of prophet Muhammad.
* This place is very significant for the Islamic faith because it is the place where Muhammad’s final religious base was established after the hijrah, and where he died in 632 AD
* Muslims also believe that the final chapters (surah’s) of the Qurans chronologically were revealed to the prophet in Medina and were called Medinan surah’s
* Medina is also the city to hold the religions first mosque known as the Quba Mosque
* The next sight of pilgrimage is the masjid Qubbat As-Sakhra, which is known as the dome of the rock
* The dome of the rock is located in Jerusalem
* The dome of the rock contains a footprint engraved into a rock, which is the foot of the prophet muhammed and this occurred during the miracles night journey.
* "When the people of Quraish did not believe me (i.e. the story of my Night Journey), I stood up in Al-Hijr and Allah displayed Jerusalem in front of me, and I began describing Jerusalem to them while I was looking at it." Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 58, Number 226 
* The night journey began with the prophet muhammed being visited by angel Gabriel, the angel led Muhammed to a white horse with wings attached to its hips, the horse had carried other prophets before like Abraham
* Muhammed got on the high horse and went, he arrived at Jerusalem where he met many prophets including Abraham, Jesus and Moses.
* Then muhammed was lifted into the skies where he went and passed through the seven realms of heaven, where angel Gabriel took him to God to speak with him
* That is why Jerusalem and the dome of the rock are very important to the Islamic faith, because the rock and the foot print is significant to what the prophet muhammed had accomplished.