Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
What IS Blindness?
Transcript of What IS Blindness?
Macular Degeneration (8.7%)
Corneal Opacity (5.1%)
Diabetic Retinopathey (4.8%)
Childhood Blindness (3.9%)
Onchocerciasis (0.8%) Blindness has roughly 500 causes Some causes set in suddenly and are often caused by a medical emergency Ex. Stroke, direct injury to the eye, and retinal detatchment Other causes set in gradually and typically have different causes Ex. ocular and refractive defects, infection Blindness caused by ocular and refactive defects of the eye Includes macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, cataracts, and corneal opacity Or dietarty and heriditary causes Vitamin A deficiency, childhood blindness caused by defects of the eye or optic nerve Blindness caused by infections Leprosy, river blindness(onchocerciasis), and trauchoma In developing nations where 85% of blindness occurs one of the leading causes are infections of the eye Diagnosis and Types TReatment and Coping All who experience blindness have the common syptom of difficulty seeing However the term blindness is used today to describe a variety of severe visual impairments Complete blindness is defined as total blackness of vision with the inability of a person to distinguish darkness from bright light in either eye Visual impairment is a term experts use to describe any kind of vision loss, whether it's someone who cannot see at all or someone who has partial vision loss. Most individuals are "Legally Blind". Meaning they haven't lost their sight completely but it's significantly limited Ways to tell that someone is experiencing visual loss -finding light to be too bright or dim
-difficulty recognizing people
-squinting or disorientation 90% of those considered to be legally blind have some vision or what some would call "low vision". The remaining 10% have complete blindness and experience complete darkness Legal blindness ranges from 20/200 vision to complete vision loss Cataracts are cloudy areas in part or all of the lens of the eye Diabetic retinopathy occurs when the tiny blood vessels in the retina are damaged due to diabetes Glaucoma is an eye disorder that increase in pressure inside the eye Macular degeneration is a gradual and progressive detertioration of the macula,the most sensitive region of the retina Trachoma is an infectios disease that occurs when a very contagious microorganism called Chlamydia trachomatis causes inflammation in the eye Corneal opacity is a disorder of the cornea, the transparent structure on the front of the eyeball Onchocerciassis (River Blindness) is an infection caused by larve of black flies Colour Blindness is inherited Boy are more likely to be colour blind (1/12) To be Colour Blind is to not recognise a certain colour from another An onset of vision loss should prompt a thorough opthalmic evaluation Could include visual observation, use of an eye chart,imaging, or genetic studies. Legal blindness can be classified as vision rated as 20/200 or worse. In perspective that means someone who is legally blind and make out an object at 20 feet where someone with 20/20 could see with the same quality 200 feet Another Classification of legal blindness is having a field of view less than 20 degrees as opposed to the norm of 180 degrees. 90% of all bllindness is preventable through regular eye exams,
proper diet, access to medical care, and eye protection Treatment regarding the specific conditon causing blindness will likely correct vision. Due to the many causes of blindness there is no one way to correct it Many conditions, for example; diabetic retinopathy or stroke leave permanent damage and could cause permanent blindness However refractive and eye defects like cataracts or macular degeneration can be fixed with corrective surgery or in minor cases, eyeglasses When one is faced with permanent blindness there are a number or ways of coping and increasing quality of life. For those faced with sudden or gradual onset of blindness the transission can be difficult. A reorganization of a persons habits may be required. A variety of tools are available to allow those who are blind to do many everyday tasks However, having to loose one of your senses doesn't increase your other senses. This is a myth.