Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Censorship
Fahrenheit 451 "The books are to remind us what asses and fools we are. They're Caesar's praetorian guard, whispering as the parade roars down the avenue, 'Remember, Caesar, thou art mortal." "The breakthrough of the German revolution has again cleared the way on the German path...The future German man will not just be a man of books, but a man of character. It is to this end that we want to educate you [...] And thus you do well in this midnight hour to commit to the flames the evil spirit of the past."
- Joseph Goebbels , Speech to students in Berlin Some content in GLASS may be too much for some 13-year olds. But let’s face it. They hear the f-word and worse in school every day. Not to mention on TV, music, video games, Internet, etc. Truth is, many middle school-aged kids are already doing drugs, or thinking about it. Some have already had consensual sex, been raped or sexually abused. Others have self-injured, experienced eating disorders or considered suicide. If my books can help even one of them, they BELONG on bookshelves in every library. "who let themselves be fucked in the ass by saintly motorcyclists, and screamed with joy" "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "
-first amendment to the Constitution "The task of selecting readings for the curriculum properly belongs to professional educators. Parents may be equipped to make choices for their own children, but, no matter how well-intentioned, they simply are not equipped to make decisions that address the needs of the entire student body. Without questioning the sincerity of those seeking removal of the book, their views are not shared by all, and they have no right to impose those views on others or to demand that the educational program reflect their personal preferences."
-Joint Letter To Harford Superintendent Protesting Removal Of The Chocolate War This by all means are not all of the references one could find offense with in the book. We have archived enough to make our case. With language like this can you imagine the after book reading discussions in class? Are the teachers and administration ready to deal with the questions that could come up, regarding the language and themes of this book? Could our children repeat these words in discussion without the fear of punishment according to the established rules of conduct?
-from a petition to ban "The Chocolate War" from the Mobile County Public School system "The Kingsmen – “Louie Louie” In early-1964 word spread that the Kingsmen’s garage-rock 45, “Louie Louie,” contained secret dirty lyrics. [...] That’s when parents began inundating the offices of U.S. Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, & various other politicians with distraught letters demanding action. The result was a gubernatorial ban imposed in Indiana and full-scale investigations by governmental agencies including the FBI, the U.S. Postal Service, & the Federal Trade Commission. After two long years, the investigations finally concluded with the concession that the lyrics couldn’t be considered “pornographic” because they were “unintelligible” at any speed. Now that’s rock ‘n’ roll"
-http://www.tabootunes.com/gallery.html "You know the seven, don't ya? That you can't say on TV? Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits. Huh? Those are the heavy seven. Those are the words that'll infect your soul, curve your spine, and keep the country from winning the war. Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker and tits, wow."
-George Carlin, who was arrested for disturbing the peace after performing this joke on stage. "We wrote the book to help parents teach children about same-sex parent families. It's no more an argument in favor of human gay relationships than it is a call for children to swallow their fish whole or sleep on rocks."
—co-author Justin Richardson,New York Times