Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Sarcasm betch
DATE: Yesterday, genius.
CREATED BY: "The Key of Awesome"
TEAM: White chicks.
Because it is socially accepted, people use sarcasm as an outlet for repressed emotions and desires in our culture.
Based on a true story...
100 people were surveyed...
Why are people sarcastic?
THE SARCASM REPORT
Over the course of four separate occasions, we gathered gathered in three different ways.
20 people were interviewed
Sarcasm is saying the opposite of what you actually mean; it can also be a witty, harsh remark.
Stating the obvious
Two Situations Involving Sarcasm
Do you think sarcasm is useful?
...for instances of sarcasm.
Do you use sarcasm?
In a few words, could you describe your personality?
What was your childhood like?
When did you start being sarcastic?
Why do you use sarcasm?
Are you surrounded by sarcastic people?
Who are you sarcastic with?
Meeting new people (insecurity)
• As a communication-based culture, we rely on our intelligence to survive, and what better way of asserting dominance than utilizing sarcasm? Some of the elderly inhabitants refuse to adapt to this change because they are used to a more apprehensive setting
Sarcasm is 100% nurture. No one is born sarcastic, but it is the connections you make throughout your lifetime that make you sarcastic.
• Cultural differences in other countries and small communities affect the amount of sarcasm an individual uses. The amount of sarcasm varies with the parentage and accepted actions within the eyes of the public.
86% use sarcasm
When the prospects outweight the consequences
The struggle with one's self during the teenage years, which can grow as one ages
14% do not use sarcasm
To raise one's ego: Superior vs. Inferior
Sarcasm is a tool.
• Used for humor
• Reaction towards comment/environment
• Usually followed by laughter
• Confirms social acceptance
"Sarcasm: the last refuge of modest and chaste-souled people when the privacy of their soul is coarsely and intrusively invaded." ~Fyodor Dostoevsky
Sarcasm becomes a defense mechanism useful for protecting the ego by raising the "self" to be superior.
Repress your insecurities, through making yourself feel superior.
Sarcasm is aggression to escape one's feelings of inferiority.
Sarcasm is clearly an outlet most individuals use, to release their feelings of inferiority by raising one's self as more superior.
The struggle is real.