Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Asian Elephants
Mom And Dad
- live in India, Sri Lanka, Burma, Indonesia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Nepal, Bangladesh, and Southern China
Asian elephant habitat
- thick, wrinkled, skin
Asian elephant diagrm
- eat mostly grasses, herbs, leaves, fruit, farm crops, and bark
- mastodons and mammoths belong to family
- forms new families if torn apart due to poaching
- decreased by 50% over last 3 generations
- Thailand people walk under elephant's bellies for luck
elephant having fun
- I used pebblego.com, galileo.usd.edu, and
- giant herbivores
- migrate or travel for food
- adults eat about 500 lbs of veggies each day
- spend 18 hours eating each day
- tear bark from trees with tusk
- can suck up to 2.6 gallons of water up trunk
- can live in in grasslands, forests, savannas, and bush (between forests and grasslands)
- largest living land animals in Asia
- shady habitat
- mostly inhabit to tropical rain forests
- females called cows
- males called bulls
- cow very protective of calf
- litter size = 1 calf
- bulls compete for mating
- bulls have tusks cows don't
- live in small family groups = 2-8 animals
- age 4 bulls leave mother and join another group of bulls
- rest during hottest hours of day
- live 60-70 years
- fully grown by age 17
- scientific name = E.M. Indieus, E.M. Suatranus, and E.M. Maximus
- male trunk = 290 lbs, lifting at 550 lbs
- mating season = rainy, gestitation = 22 months
- genus and species = Elaphas Maximus
- smaller than African elephant
- weighs 200 lbs when born
- drinks cow's milk for 2 years
-- born 22 months after mating
- newborn is 3 ft tall
- takes several months to control trunk
- sucks on trunk for comfort
- gray to brown
- trunk = is extension of nose / upper lip
- stand up to 11 1/2 ft at shoulder
- trunk also called proboscis
- wide, padded feet
- large, flappable ears
- grow up to 21 ft long head to tail
- belong to order Proboscidea and family elephantidae
- earliest members lived in Eocene and Oligocene times
- 54 million years ago lived earliest members of family
- closest relatives are water dwelling manatees and dugongs
- poaching is destroying habitats
- killed for ivory
- ivory = A creamy, white substance used for art, jewelry, and other objects
- humans are only enemies
- habitat loss is main reason for decreasing populations
- fewer than 50,000 elephants in 21st century
- today about 35,000-40,000 elephants
- listed on endangered list ( LUCN's )
- have good memories
- show affection for one another
- seldom run as fast as 15 mph ,but can't jump
- can pick up a single blade of grass with trunk
- can recognize themselves in a mirror
- 40,000 muscles in trunk
Produced by: Elephant INC.
- has the largest land animal brain
1. What is ivory used for ?
2. Name one of the two animals that belong to this family.
3. How much do newborn babies weigh ?
4. True or false adults eat 400 lbs of veggies each day.
5. The trunk is an extension of the _______ .
6. There are fewer than _______ elephants in the 21st century.
1. Ivory is used for art, jewelry, and other objects.
2. Mastodons and mammoths belonged to this family.
3. Newborns weigh about 200 lbs.
4. False adults eat about 500 lbs of veggies each day.
5. The trunk is an extension of the nose and upper lip.
6. There are less than 50,000 elephants in the 21st century.