Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Protestant Reformation
- Pope, Bishops => very involved in politics
- Church => no taxes, very rich
- Indulgences => time off purgatory, being sold Martin Luther - Augustinian monk, Doctor of the Bible
- Oct 31, 1517 - nails 95 Theses to Church door
- Pope Leo X excommunicates him
- Holy Roman Emperor exiles him
- Princes support Luther against Emperor
- Protestants formed - because they protest the Church Other Reformers - Luther sets off other reforms across Europe
- William Tyndale - England - translate Bible into English; executed
- John Calvin - Switzerland - Predestination, state laws should be religious
- King Henry VIII - England - Sought new divorce, denied; forms Anglican Church
*Anti-Catholic movements take political tone Luther's Theology - Direct relationship (no Holy Orders)
- Importance of Bible
- Bible in vernacular (common language)
- Church as apolitical
- No Eucharist, Reconciliation, Confirmation Homework: P 575 #1a, 1b; P 580 #13a, 13b