Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Characterization
the process by which the writer reveals the personality of a character
Direct (Explicit) Characterization- TELLS the audience what the personality of the character is
Ex: The girl was quiet and obedient during school.
Explanation: The author is directly telling the audience the personality of this girl. The girl is both “quiet” and “obedient.”
Indirect (Implicit) Characterization- SHOWS things that reveal the personality of a character
There are FIVE different types of indirect characterization:
4. Others Say
Think about when you meet someone for the first time...
You get to know them by:
1. Seeing how they ACT towards people or their surroundings.
2. Understanding how they FEEL about different topics.
3. Listening to what they have to SAY.
4. Hearing what OTHERS close to them have to SAY about them.
5. Initially, you may even understand a little bit about their personality just based on how they LOOK. (clothes, accessories, attire, how they carry themselves.)
What actions does the character take?
What does the character do?
How does the character behave?
Watch this clip from the Lion King and think about what ACTION Scar is taking and what this shows about his personality.
Scars ACTION was pushing Mufasa off the cliff. What does this SHOW about Scar’s personality?
What is revealed through what the character is thinking?
How does how the character's feelings show their personality?
Watch the clip from Forest Gump. How does Forest's thoughts help us know why he is running? What does it show us about his personality?
What do we find out about Forest’s personality through his thoughts? If we did not know his thoughts, could we as the audience have assumed he was running to train for a marathon or running to stay in shape? What do we learn about his personality through his thoughts that we wouldn't know otherwise?
What does the character say?
How does the character speak to other characters?
Watch the clip from Finding Nemo. How does what Merlin SAYS to Nemo reflect his personality?
Based on this scene where Marlin is speaking to Nemo, what do we learn about Marlin’s personality just based on what he SAYS? How can we determine this just through what he says?
What do other characters say about that character?
What is revealed through the character’s affect on other characters?
Watch the clip from October Sky. How does what the son SAYS about HIS FATHER, show HIS FATHER'S personality?
What is the father’s affect on the son?
What does the son say about the father?
What does the character look like?
How does the character dress?
How does what the character wear influence their personality?
What does Buddy's appearance show about his personality other than he is an elf?