Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of DOCUMENT E
1. Examine laws 196 and 199. How do you think Hammurabi would justify the different punishments for the same crime?
I think law 196 is fair because no bad deed will go unpunished. 199 is not fair because people needed to be treated equally.
196- If a man has knocked out the eye of a free man, his eye shall be knocked out
199- If he has knocked out the eye of slave.....he shall pay half his value.
2. What is the meaning of "fruit of her womb"?
"Fruit of her Womb" means child.
3. How might Hammurabi argue that laws 215 and 218 were just?
I think Hammurabi can argue that laws 215 and 218 are fair because in law 215 someone saves a man's life he shall get rewarded. In law 218 it is fair because someone killed someone.
215- If a surgeon has operated with bronze lancet o the body of a freeman...and saves the mans life, he shall receive 10 shekels of silver
218- If a surgeon has operated with a bronze lancet on a free man for a serious injury, and has caused his death, ... his hands shall be cut off
4. How could you use these laws about personal injury to argue that Hammurabi's Code was not just?
I think the laws are fair because if someone hurts someone they could get a punishment. If someone helps someone they should get a reward.
5. Is justice absolute? That is, is a just punishment in 1800 BCE also a just punishment today? Explain your thinking.
Justice is not absolute. A punishment in 1800 BCE is a very unfair because if someone knocks a persons eye out, the person who did it might go to court and jail for about a year. If someone messed up on a surgery and killed someone, I think the doctor should be fired and not be allowed to do anything medical again.
By Elena, Alisa, Zach, Antonio, and Neil
Thank you for listening to this presentation.
Goodbye, see you soon!!!