Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Calculating Volume of 3-Dimensional Figures
Transcript of Calculating Volume of 3-Dimensional Figures
You receive a Christmas package in the
mail. The package is 6 inches tall, by 18 inches
deep, by 1 foot across. Calculate the volume of
the box in cubic inches and cubic feet. Then compare the
results. Answer 1.
12*6*18 = 1296 cubic in
1 ft*0.5 ft* 1.5 ft =
0.75 cubic ft
We have found that 1296 cubic in
equals 0.75 cubic feet. By proportions
we can now conclude that 1 cubic foot
equals 1728 cubic in. Reasoning--
12 inches is 1 foot of height.
12 inches is 1 foot of depth.
12 inches is 1 foot of width.
By this reasoning the same package can be described as 12 by 12 by 12 OR as
1 by 1 by 1.
inches=12^3 = 1728
feet = 1^3 = 1
....and that's the same exact package!