Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Deciphering the Past - Irregular Verbs Lesson 7th Grade
Transcript of Deciphering the Past - Irregular Verbs Lesson 7th Grade
Colégio Militar do Recife
Irregular Verbs Simple Past
7th Grade - Elementary School
What do the verbs in italics have in common?
What do the verbs in bold have in common?
" How long Harry stood there, he didn't know. The reflections did not fade..." (ROWLING, 1997, p. 167)
Can you relate the verbs with their past forms?
They are all Regular Verbs.
(Simple Past = Base Form + "ed")
They are all Irregular Verbs.
(Past Form= ???)
( ) read
( ) lay
( ) rang
( ) sat
( ) felt
( ) got
( ) said
( ) sold
Task 1 - Answers
Negative Past Tense:
Subject + did not (didn't) + verb (base form)
"As the match drew nearer, however, Harry became more and more nervous, whatever he told Ron and Hermione" (ROWLING, 1997, p. 176).
Each verb has its own past form:
"'Where did you get it, Hagrid?', said Ron, crouching over to take a closer look at the egg." (ROWLING, 1997, p. 186
Interrogative Past Tense:
(Wh-question) + did + subject +verb + (complement)?
it [the egg]?
As we saw last class, some verbs do not follow the general pattern for the simple past. With these verbs, we NEVER use "did":
was not (wasn't) /
were not (weren't)
could not (couldn't)
"How could you get nearly headless?"
"What was he going to do?"
(ROWLING, 1997, p. 96)
(ROWLING, 1997, p.99)
The Yesterday Journal
Write a one-day late diary. You may write anything that happened the day before, during a whole week.
Get to work, don't be late!
- Why did Harry go to Mr. Ollivander's shop?
- Who did Harry go to the shop with?
- Which three wands did Mr. Ollivander tell Harry he sold in the past?