Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Hematopoietic Stem Cells
Transcript of Hematopoietic Stem Cells
- Used for bone marrow transplants (HSCT)- small number of HSC can generate a much larger amount of daughter cells.
- replacement therapy for hard to treat blood conditions which inhibit their ability to fight of disease and infection. (eg. leukemia )
Possible Treatment - promise of the drug vorinostat, an anti-cancer drug known as a histone deacetylase inhibitor
-it would turn off the enzyme that lead to inflammation after the transplant.
- Development of graft-versus-host disease
-To help prepare the body, patients receive prophylactic therapy (series of drugs)
-multipotent and self-renewing progenitor cells
-creates types of blood cells from myeloid (spinal cord) and lymphoid (circulatory system)
- Can be obtained from iliac area of the pelvis using a special needle and lsyringe
-Sources; Bone marrow, Peripheral blood, Umbilical Cord Blood, Fetal Hematopoietic System, and Embryonic Stem Cells and Embryonic Germ Cells
-Dr. Irving Weissman: first successful scientist to isolate HSC