Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Social Justice - A Global Citizen Perspective
Transcript of Social Justice - A Global Citizen Perspective
photo credit Nasa / Goddard Space Flight Center / Reto Stöckli
- Closely related to:
Allegiances to sovereign states
Our Responsibility as
and the Environment
You are NOT ONLY a citizen of a NATION, YOU ARE also a citizen of THE WORLD…and what you do HERE, has an EFFECT THERE...
- Common in 28 countries in Africa as well as Somalia, Yemen, Iraq, Malaysia, Indonesia, and some ethnic groups in South America.
- Especially in Somalia, the most common form of female genital cutting is Type III, the most radical, and extreme form.
- 80% of all genital procedures for women and girls consists of form Type III.
- 90% of the women in Somalia have undergone the procedure, including Type I and II.
- Does not have a legal sense
- But, it does have a GREATER impact than only being a citizen
- An activist
What other issues / topics could makes us Global Citizens?
WORLD 7,094,724,064 x 167 = 1,184,818,918,688 TRILLION
US 316,143,074 x 167 = 52,795,893,358 BILLION
- Opt out of plastic
- Put the trash in the trash can (sometimes the obvious is not that obvious)
- Get ready...January 1, 2014
Either have your
reusable bag OR
PAY 10 cents per bag
So what can YOU do?
- Food chain
A fixed, over generalized belief about a particular group or class of people
Enables us to respond rapidly to situations because we may have had a similar experience before
Makes us ignore differences between individuals
Simplify our social world
Reducing Impact of Negative Stereotyping
1. Recognize personal situations involving stereotypes
2. Demonstrate commitment to diversity through actions in and out of your comfort zone
3. Break out of the mold and get to know the person!
- We should pay close attention to human rights around the world.
- Especially for women and children!
Women’s right issue:
Female Genital Mutilation
PRAXIS - Stereotypes
Inquiry - What kinds of stereotypes do I hold?
Diaglogue/Action - Don't be afraid to talk to others and ask questions.
Why are they using
- Religious obligation
- Family honor and Virginity
- Moral issue
- Sexual enjoyment for men
Inquiry - Why should I be concerned about the environment?
But Smalia is 8634 miles away
Why do we need to care?
Action - What we can do to help out planet Earth
Humanitarianism (Women & Children)
Inquiry - What basic humans rights are still violated today?
- Women's rights are being degraded.
- Are you familiar with the protest that has been going on in India to promote women’s right?
- India, the world’s 4th most dangerous country for women.
- Women in India continue to face: rape in public areas, acid throwing, dowry killing
- Young girls are forced into prostitution.
Children’s rights issue:
Positioning - Although we may not agree with these practices, they can be considered "cultural norms" which is why these practices still exist today
- An estimated 218 million children aged 5-17, or one child in seven, are involved in work around the world.
- 126 million of them are occupied in the worst forms of labor affecting their health and education.
- Nike Case
How can we bring an end to child labor?
- Use Fair Trade products!
- Fair Trade is an organized social movement that aims to help producers in developing countries to make better trading conditions and promote sustainability.
- Fair Trade is committed to child protection
- Go to www.fairtradeusa.org
Action - Getting involved... taking a look at Alexandria House (micro-organization)
First They Came…
By Martin Niemöller
First they came for the Somalia Women and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Somali woman.
Then they came for women in India and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a women nor I live in India.
Then they came for the children and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a child anymore.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak for me…
Global Citizenship -
It is expressed in other ways that may have a significant and profound impact on the development of civic engagement and citizen-state relations.
Global Citizen -Individuals that redefine ties between civic engagement and geography.
What makes us more
global than national?
BE PART of the
NOT PART of the
Research by Greenwald & Banaji (1995)
Unconscious mental association which influence people's judgment and action toward others
Attributed to experiences