Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Alien & Sedition Acts: Constitutional or Not?
Transcript of Alien & Sedition Acts: Constitutional or Not?
Why Were These Acts Passed?
-conflicts between Federalists and Democratic-Republicans
-Democratic-Republican newspapers & immigrants were criticizing the government
-angered John Adams and wanted to silence press
-increased the time it took to become a citizen from 5 to 14 years
-allowed the government to arrest/deport immigrants, especially in times of war (French Revolution)
-allowed people that worked for the press to be arrested for criticizing the government
Why is it Unconstitutional?
More Reasons That Is Unconstitutional
-the acts were made out of anger and egotism
-one of the reasons it was passed was that judicial review didn't exist yet
-gave to much power to the central government
What Did The Acts Do?
Were the Acts Constitutional?
-it violated the 1st amendment
-limited freedom of speech and press
-the unnecessary arrest of news reporters as well as government officials
Extra Information About the Acts
- the Acts had 4 parts
2: Act Concerning Aliens
3:Act Concerning Alien Enemies