Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Teen Pregnancy
70% are raised in two parent homes
28% of teen parents are from homes at or below poverty
30% of teen moms are raised by a single parent Truth About Teen Parents PREVENTION Birth Control Pills or Patches
Plan B FACTS GLAMORIZATION Years ago, teenage pregnancy was portrayed as shameful. Girls tended to drop out of school as soon as they started to display the first signs of pregnancy, in attempt to hide it. Today, however, the media does a great job of glamorizing the idea of teen pregnancy. T.V. Shows 16 & Pregnant
The Secret Life of the American Teenager
The Pregnant Pact
Jerry Springer Movies The Twilight Saga
She's Having a Baby
Knocked Up MEDIA ... most people are hardwired to think teen pregnancy is bad causing sex-ed funding to rise and contraceptives easily accessible #realtalk We polled, you answered: - Teen pregnancy has been on the decline this last quarter century
- In 1997 an estimated 42,000 pregnancies from girls between 15-19 ended with birth, abortion, or miscarriage (Canada)
- In 2005 that number fell to 30,500 pregnancies
- Teen pregnancy is on the steady decline all over North America. Mostly due to the rising amount of STI's, Aids and contraceptives`
- 3 in 10 teen girls in the US will get pregnant at least once before age 20. That's about 745,000 teen pregnancies each year A sexually active teenage girl who does not use contraceptives has a 90% chance of becoming pregnant within a year
Daughters of teenage mothers are 3 times more likely to become a teenage mother themselves More than half of the mothers on welfare had a child when they were a teenager Less than half of the teen moms that dropped out of high school, never went back to get their diploma Parenthood is the number 1 reason teenagers drop out of school Testimonial Teens wanting to become pregnant: Effects on Grandparents Impacts and effects Prevention Cont'd http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=850945 Then VS. Now A Diaphragm Made like rubber and shaped like a dome. It covers the cervix and must always be used with a spermicide. There is a widely decreasing rate for teen pregnancies all over North America.
Before the 1980's, most teen pregnancies were planned, and between a married man and woman.
Now a days, most teen pregnancies are NOT planned and end with a single parent household. The NuvaRing A Hormone Patch The ring is made of flexible plastic and delivers estrogen just
like the birth control pill You can place the hormone-releasing patch on your arm, buttock, or abdomen, and rest easy for one week. An Implant About the size of a matchstick, the implant is placed under the skin on your upper arm.
It is nearly 100% effective Discussion #1 Discussion #2 Discussion #4 Myths Child's perspective: Child Health Mother is not educated enough to know how to take care of the child.
Sexually transmitted infections are found in 9 million teens, which can cause harm to that child.
SID- sudden infant death syndrome usually occurs in 1st year and because the child’s sleeping habits, as well many occurrences have been due to teen parents.
A way to prevent this is for teen mom’s to speak to their doctors to get a lesson on how to take care of themselves and the child. A girl can't get pregnant/ a guy can't get a girl pregnant if:
1.You have sex standing up
2.You have sex in a hot tub or a swimming pool
3.You jump up and down immediately after sex
4. The girl makes herself sneeze for fifteen minutes after sex
5.If the guy drinks Sprite or Mountain Dew before sex Developmental Effect's The child tends to be socially unstable resulting in an unstable environment.
Education failure because they do not have an educated parent themselves (most knowledge is taught by parent).
Emotional troubles as well because their environment is not consistent.
There are many relationships coming and going with in the home were it is difficult for the child to attach to people in fear of them leaving again.
This child forms behavioral problems 8 out of 10 fathers don't marry the mothers of their babies What about me? Milestones a Child Endures Nutrition:
The parent is not able to breast feed due to bad habits
Needs to be canalized Failure to thrive:
Impairs growth in infancy
Child is not able to complete their developmental stages Pro’s and con’s to adoption Pro's:
Giving the child the life he/she deserves.
Open adoption – have connections with both sides.
Child will grow up with well-adjusted adults.
Better mental health position.
Able finish school. Con's:
Child feels loss and out of place.
Have hard times showing attachment due to fear of abandonment.
Mother feels guilt.
Mother seems rewarded for irresponsible behavior. Teen help (1) Help should be offered to teen parents.
(2) Provide a confidential relationship. Keeping unwanted persons from environment.
(3) Put parent workshops in schools or in community organizations.
(4) Offer mentoring in school as well for them to create goals and how to accomplish them.
(5) "Create a parent-friendly school culture for teens parenting children"
(6) Offer daycare services at the schools, the teen parents can continue their education to better help the child. Medical Risks
and Realities Risk of not getting
adequate prenatal care High blood pressure a dangerous medical condition that combines high blood pressure with excess protein in the urine, swelling of a mother's hands and face, and organ damage. detects medical problems in both mother and baby
monitors the baby's growth
deals quickly with any complications that arise higher risk of getting high blood pressure than women in their 20s or 30s. Higher risk of preeclampsia Why do you think there is still such a big stigma attached to teen pregnancy in the 21st century? Personal stories? Experiences? Thoughts? Are teen pregnancies due to lack of education, unavailability of contraceptives or other? Why? Discussion #3 If there was no stigma and people just acknowledged that it "just happens" ... - Teen mother can feel terrified, possibly depressed, have an emotional crisis
- worry about what parents are going to say
Future Worries - financials - negativity
- lack of parenting skills
- delayed education
Lifestyle changes - smoking & drinking
- medical complications - happiness or joy depending on family
- guilt - if they could have done more
- financial concerns
- loss of trust
- child will stay at home longer Effects on Society http://theweek.com/article/index/210132/are-girls-getting-pregnant-to-audition-for-mtvs-teen-mom
http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/teen-pregnancy-medical-risks-and-realities Sources - if the parents are unable to support the baby, then they will turn to the government for support Effects on Teen Parents