Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Cost Benefit Analysis of the Three Gorges Dam Project*
Transcript of Cost Benefit Analysis of the Three Gorges Dam Project*
- Carbon emmissions will be reduced 100 million tonnes compared to alternative coal generation Improved transportation and navigation will allow larger capacity ships to access ports farther inland than previously available People in China will directly benefit from improved air quality “Protecting roughly 10 million people living along the riverbanks and flood plains from life-threatening floods is the main rationale for building the three gorges dam. It is also intended to generate from 15, 000 to 20, 000 megawatts of hydroelectricity for urban industrial centres, and improve navigation along the river.” Damming the Three Gorges, Grainne Ryder "There is but one Yangtze River in the world. We have already done so many thoughtless things to it that we should now at the very least try our best to avoid repeating them." Dai Quing. February 1989 Yangze river valley is China’s agricultural and industrial heartland and supports roughly 400 million people, 1/3rd the total population
Yangtze floods of 1954 left 30, 000 people dead and one million people homeless prompting urgent response in the prospect of building the dam. Flood Control Three Gorges Dam will serve to protect 15 million people and 1.5 million acres of farmland in areas of the Yangtze River that are vulnerable to flooding. In order to do this, the water height of the reservoir upstream from the dam will change according to season 4x this century the Yangze river has flooded downstream in the middle and lower valley killing a total of 300, 000 people and leaving millions homeless resevoir behind dam will flood 58, 000 km it is estimated to displace 1.4 - 1.7 million people every person below 172m must be relocated reperations of 30, 000 yuan per farmer flooding will cover 20, 000 ha of cultivatable land The river can now accomodate freighters up to 10, 000 tonnes, previously only 1,500 tonne boats could safely navigate Navigation The construction of the dam has been estimated at be more than 110 billion
and will take upwards of 17 years to construct Environmental Impacts increase in methane emmissions as a direct result
nutrient and sediment flow disturbed
Aquatic species threatened by changeing ecosystem
Increase threat of landslides and earthquakes
Build up of pollution in river due to slower flow into China Sea The maximum output of the dam when full capacity is reached is 22, 500 mV but depending on water levels it averages about 18, 000 mV per day
The Three Gorges Dam has 32 generators that can sustainably provide enough electricity for Boston, New York, and Washington D.C. combined Coal or Hydroelectricity? Dylan Mitchell and Tate Morel