Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Exercise Mimetics
You were to go from this...
And all you needed was this...
In the United States the prevalence of obesity is rapidly approaching 25%
What are exercise mimetics?
Projections for the Future
By 2050 approximately 50% of Americans will be obese
Hope for the Future
1. Clinical aspects
2. Military aspects
(1 and 2 Information about benefits of exercise)
3. Carey, A. L., & Kingwell, B. A. (2009). Novel pharmacological approaches to combat obesity and insulin resistance: targeting skeletal muscle with ‘exercise mimetics’. Diabetologia, 52(10), 2015-2026.
(Article about current exercise mimetics)
4. Huiyun Liang and Walter F. Ward. PGC-1α: a key regulator of energy metabolism Advan in Physiol Edu December 2006 30:(4) 145-151; doi:10.1152/advan.00052.2006 (Article about substrate found in image listed above.)
5. Baur, J. G. (2006). Resveratrol improves health and survival of mice on a high-calorie diet. Nature, 444(7117), 337-342. (Research done on mice SIRT1 activation, graph taken from this article)
6. Meledin, R., Brik, A. and Aharoni, A. (2013), Dissecting the Roles of the N- and C-Flanking Residues of Acetyllysine Substrates for SIRT1 Activity. ChemBioChem, 14: 577–581. doi: 10.1002/cbic.201200727 (image of SIRT1 molecule)
Effects of SIRT1 activation on mice
Reduces excess fat
Can prevent or delay illness
Reasons we don't exercise
Lack the discipline
1. www.dermalinstitute.com (image for the main powerpoint)
2. Cardiovascular Powerpoint on Ilearn (edited picture of Bro. Groesbeck)
3. http://web.byui.edu/Directory/Employee/groesbeckm (picture of Bro. Groesbeck)
4. www.gnr8.biz (image for gold pills)
5. www.sciencedirect.com (image for activation of SIRT1 by resveratrol)
6. http://www.weighwithwords.net/2013/01/get-moving-to-manage-stress.html (image for managing stress)
7. http://www.positivechoices.com/blog/2011/11/tv-exercise-and-depression (image for depression graph)
8. http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/more-exercise-could-be-simple-solution-to-help-prevent-mental-illness-1.1155664 (image for happy old people)
9. http://www.vincegolangco.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/funny-sleeping-sleep-facts-info-interesting-zzzz.jpg (image of child sleeping on a bookcase)
10. http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3p6sol/ (image of Arnold yelling)
11.http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000171582/polls_homework2_3956_270337_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg (image person overloaded with homework)
12. http://photos2.demandstudios.com/DM-Resize/photos.demandstudios.com/getty/article/129/140/87701367_XS.jpg?h=10000&w=400&keep_ratio=1 (image of person being assisted)
13. www.loripuente.com (image of man "exercising")
14. onlinelibrary.wiley.com (image for molecular SIRT1)
15. www.comicvine.com (image of Captain America)
16. costume-discount.com (image of man in military costume)
Not enough time
Unable to exercise
Activation of SIRT1
Most promising exercise mimetic...
What is SIRT1?