Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of 1970's
Across the Pond
Fast rock and roll music
American Punk Music
Bands That Defined the Genre
Led Zeppelin &
"...weak, unimaginative songs" - John Mendelson of Rolling Stone, 1969
Heavy debates over which one was the "first"
Led Zeppelin came first, but had a wider sound
Black Sabbath's lyrics and sound portrayed gloominess & doom
"Black Sabbath" by Black Sabbath on
General Overview of 70's
First Glimpses of Disco
Saturday Night Fever
Fall of Disco in the US
- End in the late 70's
- Shallow Art form
- Anti-Disco Movement
Background & Roots
Roots in mid-1960s garage rock, blues, and psychedelic
Originated primarily in England (British Invasion) and the United States
Heavy, powerful & aggressive vocals
Defined the rock n' roll stage show
Use of makeup, costumes, and bizarre stage antics
Each member wrote and sang lead
Brackett, David. "Chapter 52. Heavy Metal Meets T
he Counterculture." The Pop, Rock and Soul Reader.
Third ed. Vol. 1. New York: Oxford UP, 2009. 290-94. Print.
Face the Music: A Life Exposed.
New York: HarperOne, 2014. Print.
Brackett, David. "Chapter 57. Get On Up Disco."
The Pop, Rock and Soul Reader.
Third ed. Vol. 1. New York: Oxford UP, 2009. 328-39. Print.
- Rock music difficult to dance to
- Clubs playing music that later played on the pop radio
- The Hues Corporations and George McCrae
- "The Hustle" - Van McCoy (Early '75)
Discoteques transformed from 1960's to 1970's
Music in 1960's - Live Band
Music in 1970's - Dj's
Selecting and Sequencing music
Roe v. Wade
End of Vietnam War
Served as an outlet for frustrated American youth to energetically voice their concerns
Angry, often politically charged lyrics
Stripped down rock instrumentation